Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Program
The HERS Program was initially implemented to address construction defects and equipment installations that had historically not been done correctly. These HERS measures cover HVAC system and insulation installation.
In an update to the HERS Regulations, the rating of a home as a system (known as Whole House Home Energy Rating) was implemented, where a home is rated on a scale from 0 to 250 to show its efficiency relative to a reference home built to just meet the Title 24 Building Energy Efficiency Standards' prescriptive requirements.
- Providers & Raters
- California Home Energy Rating Systems Program Regulations (PDF file)
- HERS Technical Manual (PDF file)
- HERS Booklet
What is Your Home Energy Rating? This booklet provides whole house rating information.
- Notice of HERS Provider Approval (PDF file)
- Using CalRatePro to Estimate Energy Consumption (PDF file)
Complaints & Investigation Proceedings
- Complaint Against CalCERTS, Docket # 12-CAI-01
- Compliant & Request for Investigation of Valley Duct Testing, Docket # 12-CAI-02
- Disciplinary Actions by HERS Providers (PDF file)
- Proceeding to Improve the HERS Program, Docket # 12-HERS-01.
- Status of the CHEERS Certification for Newly Constructed Buildings for the 2008 Building Energy Efficiency Standards. HERS Industry Update, June 16, 2011
- HERS Rulemaking and Pre-Rulemaking
- Compliant & Request for Investigation Regarding Energy Sense/MASCO, Docket # 08-CRI-1
- Home Energy Rating (HERS) Field Verification and Diagnostic Testing Regulations (PDF file)
- Acceptance Requirement and Home Energy Rating Systems (HERS) Field Verification and Diagnostic Testing Regulations (PDF file)
- HERS Program Regulations