California Gasoline Data, Facts, and Statistics
Gasoline is the most used transportation fuel in California, with ninety seven percent of all gasoline being consumed by light-duty cars, pickup trucks, and sport utility vehicles. In 2015, 15.1 billion gallons of gasoline were sold, according to the State Board of Equalization. Gasoline sold in California at retail is made up of 90 percent petroleum based gasoline (as specified by the California Air Resources Board) and 10 percent ethanol. Ethanol became the primary blending oxygenate in gasoline in 2003, as Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) was fully phased out of by that year.
- California Weekly Retail Prices (1996-present)
- California Weekly Gasoline Margins (Gasoline costs breakdown)
- Summary of Fuel Production and Supply (Weekly Fuels Watch)
- Weekly Gasoline Prices (U.S. DOE EIA)
- California Motor Fuel Excise Tax Rates (Board of Equalization)
- Taxable Gasoline Sales in California (PDF file, State Board of Equalization)
- Gasoline Market Share by Company in California
- Retail Fuel Outlet Survey Results
- How Oil & Gasoline Gets From the Well to Your Car
- Dates for Summertime Gasoline Formulation Switch-over in California
- Summary of California Vehicle and Highway Data
News media please contact the Media and Public Communications Office at: 916-654-4989.
For information on supply disruptions, shortages, or other problems, please see the Commission's Response to Emergencies page.
- Complaints About Service Stations
Complaints about gallon size, water/air availability, call: 1-800-356-7057 or visit above website link.
- Caltrans Ride Share: 1-800-COMMUTE (1-800-266-6883) - Statewide ride share information from Caltrans.
- Consumer Energy Center
Tips about saving energy and money in your vehicle; and about alternative fuel vehicles, hybrid and high efficiency vehicles, state rebates and incentives, buying or leasing AFVs, and much more!
- Fuel Me Up
- Gas Buddy.Com
- Gas Price Watch