2013 Appliance Efficiency Pre-Rulemaking
Commissioner: Andrew McAllister
The California Energy Commission invites interested stakeholders to submit proposals for standards, test procedures, labeling requirements, and/or other measures that will improve the efficiency and reduce the energy or water consumption of the appliances below. Energy Commission staff will consider these proposals, along with the data and information received through the Invitation to Participate, as they draft recommendations for the Energy Commission's consideration as part of the formal rulemaking for these appliance types:
- Consumer Electronics: computers, displays, game consoles, network equipment, and set-top boxes.
- Lighting: fluorescent dimming ballasts, light-emitting diodes, and multifaceted reflector lamps.
- Water Appliances: faucets, toilets, urinals, and water meters.
- Other Appliances:
- Commercial clothes dryers (Docket #12-AAER-2D).
- Air filter labeling (Docket #12-AAER-2E).
- Residential pool pumps & motors (Docket #12-AAER-2F).
- Portable electric spa labeling (Docket #12-AAER-2G).
Please note that the deadline for receipt of proposals at the Energy Commission has been moved from July 25 to July 29, 2013.
Invitation to Submit Proposals
Proposal Template (Word Document)
Appliance Efficiency Rulemaking Process - Note that we are now on the "Request Proposals from Stakeholders" step.
The Commission issued an Order Instituting Rulemaking (OIR) to formally begin the process of considering standards, test procedures, labeling requirements, and other efficiency measures for a variety of appliances that consume a significant amount of energy or water. The goal of this rulemaking is to reduce excessive energy and water consumption from appliances in the State of California.
For questions about this proceeding, contact:
California Energy Commission
Appliances and Existing Buildings Office
1516 Ninth Street, MS-25
Sacramento, CA 95814-5512