**** REVISED START TIME ****
Notice of Committee Workshop
On Appliance Standards for External Power Supplies
and Other Consumer Electronics Products
The Energy Efficiency Committee, comprised of Vice Chair Jackalyne Pfannenstiel, Presiding Member, and Commissioner Arthur H. Rosenfeld, Associate Member, will conduct a workshop to receive comments on industry concerns regarding the Appliance Efficiency Regulations for external power supplies and other consumer electronics products. The public is invited to attend the workshop, which will be held on:
MONDAY, JANUARY 30, 2006
CALIFORNIA ENERGY COMMISSION
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
For details, please go to: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
On December 14, 2004, the California Energy Commission adopted appliance efficiency regulations for external power supplies and other consumer electronics products. The standards for televisions and DVD players went into effect on January 1, 2006. The standards for external power supplies go into effect on July 1, 2006, and the standards for compact audio and digital television adapters go into effect on January 1, 2007. The Energy Commission has received various comments from the electronics industry that the standards should be delayed or modified. As a result, the Efficiency Committee invites public input on the following general issues:
- Should a rulemaking proceeding be conducted to delay the effective dates of specific standards that are not feasible by the adopted effective date? If so, what standards are not feasible to be achieved by the adopted effective date, and what are the barriers to achieving them by that date?
- Are specific standards requirements for specific consumer products not feasible? Why are they not feasible? How could they be revised to be feasible?
- What specific proposals do manufacturers or other stakeholders have to revise specific standards requirements to be feasible and effective?
External power supplies:
- Should the requirement that external power supplies meet the efficiency standard at 230V be dropped?
- Should the active mode efficiency levels be decreased for low voltage (<15V) power supplies?
- Should the no load standby power level be increased to 1.5W for power supplies >50W with power factor correction?
- Should an exemption be created for external power supplies used for cordless phones?
- Should the effective date of the external power supplies standard be delayed beyond July 1, 2006?
- Should battery chargers (those covered by the Energy Star specification) be exempted from the external power supplies standard, and a new efficiency standard for those battery chargers be created?
- Should the Energy Commission create a new efficiency standard for products covered by the EnergyStar battery charger specification?
- Should the Energy Commission create a new efficiency standard for all battery chargers (including those not covered by the Energy Star specification)?
- Should the digital television adaptors power levels be increased (currently 8W active, 1W standby)?
- Should an "auto power-down" requirement be added?
Should the Energy Commission reconsider the economic and technical analysis underlying the electronics standards adopted by the Commission in December 2004?
The Energy Commission encourages full public participation. Any person present at any hearing or workshop shall be afforded an opportunity to make oral comments on the subject matter of the proceeding.
Written comments on the workshop topics must be submitted by noon on Thursday, January 26, 2006. The Energy Commission encourages comments by electronic mail. Those submitting comments by electronic mail should provide them on letterhead in either Microsoft Word or Portable Document Format (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Energy Commission's Public Adviser, Margret J. Kim, is available to help any person who wants to participate in this workshop. Please call (916) 654-4489 or toll-free in California at (800) 822-6288, or write to email@example.com If you have a disability and require assistance to participate in this workshop, please contact Lou Quiroz at (916) 654-5146 at least five days in advance.
If you have technical questions on the subject matter of this notice, please e-mail Jim Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org. News media inquiries should be directed to Claudia Chandler, Assistant Executive Director, at (916) 654-4989.
Date Online: January 19, 2006.
Vice Chair and Presiding Member
Commissioner and Associate Member