California Energy Commission
Please note that audio from this
and future Business Meetings are
broadcast over the Internet
using Real Audio technology.
February 27, 2002
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Sacramento, California 95814
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and
voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed
and moved to later on the agenda).
- COMMISSION CO-SPONSORSHIP. Possible approval of a co-sponsorship request
for which the Energy Commission will provide financial support, the participation
of key speakers, permit the use of its name, plus staff time for a speaker
and include promotional materials with regularly scheduled mailings.
- GLOBE 2002, 7th Biennial Trade Fair and Conference on Business
and Environment, March 13-15, 2002, Vancouver Convention and Exhibition
Centre, World Trade Center, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- ELECTRIC POWER RESEARCH. Possible approval of Contract 500-97-043 Amendment
1, to extend the time of the original contract. Contract scope and cost
will be unaffected.
- HIGH DESERT POWER PLANT. Possible consideration of complainant, Gary Ledford's
Petition for Review of the Committee Rulings and Dismissals regarding the
Complaint on the High Desert Power Project Water Issues. (Docket No. 97-AFC-1C
(C1)). Contact: Susan Gefter, (916) 654-3893. (20 minutes)
- HIGH DESERT POWER PLANT. Possible approval of the Siting Committee's Proposed
Decision on the Complaint filed by Gary Ledford regarding compliance of
the project with Conditions of Certification for water resources. (Docket
No. 01-AFC-1C (C-1)). Contact: Susan Gefter, (916) 654-3893. (20 minutes)
- ELECTRICITY INNOVATION INSTITUTE (E21). Possible approval of Contract
500-01-025 for $1,100,000 to conduct collaborative research, development
and demonstration projects. Contact: Gary Klein, (916) 653-8555. (15 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY. Possible approval of Contract 500-01-024
for $500,000 to conduct the "Energy Efficiency Data Centers" project. Contact:
Paul Roggensack, (916) 654-6560. (15 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY. Possible approval of Contract 500-01-023,
for $639,386 to develop and evaluate electrochromic window systems. Contact:
Chris Scruton, (916) 653-0948. (15 minutes)
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON COMPANY (SCE). Possible approval of Contract
500-01-026, for $178,000 to develop the measurement procedures to assess
the overall efficiency of a compressed air central plant. Contact: Rajesh
Kapoor, (916)-654-4611. (15 minutes)
- SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY. Possible approval of Contract 500-01-018 for
$120,000 to assess the potential to utilize the ocean wave energy resources
off California's coast. Contact: David Navarro, (916) 654-4618. (15 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS. Possible approval of Contract 500-01-016
for $315,750 to help establish and administer a Biomass Consortium. Contact:
Valentino Tiangco, (916) 654-4664. (15 minutes)
- ENERGY CONSERVATION ASSISTANCE ACT ACCOUNT. Staff recommendation to approve
a loan to Sonoma State University for $157,506 and a loan to Roman Catholic
Diocese of San Jose for $153,662 under THE ENERGY CONSERVATION ASSISTANCE
ACT ACCOUNT. Contact: Joseph Wang, (916) 654-4008. (15 minutes)
- LOCAL JURISDICTION ENERGY ASSISTANCE LOAN ACCOUNT (ENERGY PARTNERSHIP
PROGRAM). Possible approval of a $1,000,000 loan to the city of Carson for
the installation of energy efficient lighting in their buildings and conversion
of existing incandescent traffic signals to those using light emitting diodes.
This is estimated to save the City about $240,234 in reduced electricity
costs and result in an estimated 231 kilowatts of peak load reduction. Contact:
Dave Rubens, (916) 651-9857. (15 minutes)
- ENERGY CONSERVATION ASSISTANCE ACT ACCOUNT. Possible approval of a loan
to Loyola Marymount University for $1,125,000 for installation of energy
efficient lighting at the Los Angeles campus. Contact: David Davenport,
(916) 651-9861. (15 minutes)
- SANTA CLARA VALLEY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY. Possible approval of Contract
600-01-089 for $300,000 for the construction of a hydrogen fueling station.
The Santa Clara VTA will operate a hydrogen bus fuel cell demonstration
program for a minimum of one year beginning in April 2003, when it is expected
that fuel cell buses will be delivered (PVEA funded). Contact Sandra Fromm,
(916) 654-4651. (15 minutes)
- POWER PLANT SITING REGULATIONS. Possible adoption of an Order Instituting
Rulemaking regarding the Power Plant Siting Regulations. (Docket No. 02-SIT-1)
Contact Rick Buell, (916) 653-1614. (30 minutes)
- 2001 PIER ANNUAL REPORT. Possible approval of 2001 PIER Annual Report.
Contact: Susan Patterson, (916) 654-4992. (15 minutes)
Approval of Minutes from previous Energy Commission meetings.
- Energy Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Energy Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be
- Discussion of Committee Structure
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel
to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation
of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and
circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation
against the Energy Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy
The Energy Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes
of a general discussion of internal organization and policy. No action will
be taken at such a continued session. The Energy Commission will announce
whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and
location at the end of Item 22.
If you require special accommodations, contact Betty LaFranchi at (916)
654-5204, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to: Claudia Chandler, Assistant
Director -- (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed
to: Roberta Mendonca, Public Adviser -- (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated
e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet.
To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site: www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/.
Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas
by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing
label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38,
Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail email@example.com
and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number
that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site -- www.energy.ca.gov
| Calendar |
| Search |