California Energy Commission
Wednesday, July 23, 2003
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see our page at: www.energy.ca.gov/realaudio/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved later on the agenda).
- THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-UCOP/CIEE Possible approval of Work Authorization Number MR-015, (amount not to exceed $750,000) under Energy Commission Agreement Number 500-02-004 with the Regents of the University of California - UCOP-CIEE. The purpose of this work is to fund ten separate research projects addressing issues associated with electricity and the environment under the PIER Environmental Area Exploratory Program. Contact: Kelly Birkinshaw (916) 654-4542 or Gina Barkalow, (916) 654-4057.
- CITY OF COMPTON. Possible approval of a $400,000 loan from the Energy Conservation Assistance Account to the City of Compton to install energy efficient Light Emitting Diode (LED) traffic lights. This project is estimated to save about $207,500 annually in reduced energy costs and has a simple payback of 1.9 years. Contact: Ram Verma, (916) 654-8435. (5 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA REBUILD AMERICA. Possible approval of a $50,000 grant (2000 account) to the Collaborative for High Performance Schools for preparing specifications and plans for energy efficient portable classrooms. These portables will exceed California Title 24, 2005 standards by approximately 20 percent and have higher comfort levels and improved indoor air quality. The new specifications will be approved by the Division of State Architect, Procurement Division and the Office of Public School Construction. Contact: Ram Verma, (916) 654-8435. (5 minutes)
- CHABOT LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT. Possible approval of a $183,685 loan from Energy Conservation Assistance Account to the Chabot Las Positas Community College District to upgrade the campus electrical services for the 300 kW cogeneration system interconnenction. Contact: Joseph Wang, (916) 654-4026. (5 minutes)
- DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY. Possible approval of Work Authorization Number MR-016, (amount not to exceed $3,280,000) to conduct research in a project entitled High-Performance High-Tech Buildings/Laboratories, Clean rooms, and Data Centers. This authorization is under Energy Commission Agreement Number 500-02-004. Contact: Paul Roggensack (916) 654-6560 or Pramod Kulkarni (916) 654-4637. (5 minutes)
- Item postponed to future business meeting.
MIDWAY SUNSET COGENERATION PROJECT (95-AFC-3C). Possible approval of a petition to add Catalyst Reduction systems to meet revised San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District Rules, reducing by half the NOx emissions limits. Contact: Connie Bruins, (916) 654-4545. (10 minutes)
- TRACY PEAKER POWER PROJECT (01-AFC-16C). Possible approval of a petition to modify air quality conditions of certification to 1) allow for a reduction in PM10 emission limits, and subsequently, to lower the required amount of PM10 emission reduction credits, and 2) to simplify the methodology for tracking and reporting emissions during startups and shutdowns. Contact: Connie Bruins, (916) 654-4545. (10 minutes)
- HENRIETTA PEAKER POWER PROJECT (01-AFC-18C). Possible approval of a petition to modify air quality conditions of a certification to 1) allow for a reduction in PM10 emission limits, and subsequently to lower the required amount of PM10 emission reduction credits, and 2) to simplify the methodology for tracking and reporting emissions during startups ad shutdowns. Contact: Lance Shaw, (916) 653-1227. (10 minutes)
- ELK HILLS POWER PROJECT (99-AFC-1C). Possible approval of a petition to 1) increase startup/shutdown emission limits and corresponding emission offsets, 2) modify cooling tower operations to conserve water with a slight increase in PM10 emissions, and 3) increase the power of the emergency fire water pump engine. Contact: Nancy Tronaas, (916) 654-3864. (10 minutes)
- TRUEWIND SOLUTIONS, LLC. Possible approval of a $424,500 contract with Truewind Solutions, LLC to develop high-resolution regional wind resource maps and conduct a tall tower/sodar wind monitoring program. This contract includes $100,000 in matching funds with a Department of Energy grant. Contact: Michael Kane, (916) 654-7119. (5 minutes)
- PLATTS RESEARCH AND CONSULTING, E SOURCE GROUP. Possible approval of a $256,546 contract with the E Source Group at Platts Research and Consulting to produce and distribute a series of news briefs summarizing PIER Program research in the Buildings End-Use Energy Efficiency Area. Contact: Don Aumann, (916) 654-4588. (5 minutes)
- STRATEGIC FUEL RESERVE ASSESSMENT REPORT. Possible adoption of the Committee Report Feasibility of a Strategic Fuels Reserve in California as required by Assembly Bill 2076 (Shelley, Chapter 936, Statutes of 2000). Report is available on-line at [www.energy.ca.gov/html/newest.html]. Contact: Leigh Stamets, (916) 654-4510. (45 minutes)
- REDUCING CALIFORNIA'S PETROLEUM DEPENDENCE. Possible adoption of the report Reducing California's Petroleum Dependence, as required by Assembly Bill 2076 (Shelley, Chapter 936, Statutes of 2000). Report is available on-line at [www.energy.ca.gov/fuels/petroleum_dependence/documents/index.html#documents] Contact: Dan Fong, (916) 654-4634. (45 minutes)
- EAST ALTAMONT ENERGY CENTER. Consideration and possible approval of the Revised Presiding Member's Proposed Decision (RPMPD) on the Application for Certification - East Altamont Energy Center, Docket No. 01-ARC-4. Contact: Major Williams, (916) 651-2020. (30 minutes)
Approval of Minutes from previous Energy Commission meetings.
- Energy Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Energy Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Energy Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission.
The Energy Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Energy Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last numbered item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Betty LaFranchi at (916) 654-5204, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to: Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director - (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to: Roberta Mendonca, Public Adviser - (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site: www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/. Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site - www.energy.ca.gov
| Back to Main Page | Homepage | Calendar | Directory/Index | Search |