California Energy Commission
Wednesday, October 22, 2003
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Sacramento, California 95814
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved to later on the agenda)
- COMMISSION BUSINESS MEETING SCHEDULE. Possible approval of the 2004 Energy Commission Business Meetings Schedule.
- ELECTRICITY STORAGE ASSOCIATION. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-015 for $10,000 for the conference on Electricity Energy Storage Applications and Technology to be held on October 27, 2003 in San Francisco, California.
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNMENTS. Possible approval of a $30,000 grant to analyze the economic impacts associated with adopting a regional resolution requiring that new commercial and multifamily construction exceed the state's energy efficiency standard (Title 24). Contact: Maura Clark, (916) 653-6231. (15 minutes)
- VALERO REFINERY COMPANY. Possible approval of a petition from the Valero Refinery Company - California to extend the on-line date for Phase 2 of the Valero Cogeneration Project to November 1, 2005. The extension will allow Valero time to reconsider the viability of Phase 2 due to the uncertainty of the electricity market. Contact: Jeri Scott, (916) 654-4228. (15 minutes)
- OTAY MESA GENERATING PROJECT (99-AFC-5C). Possible approval of a petition to modify the project description by separating and increasing stack heights of HRSG/Turbine, adding duck firing and small auxiliary boiler. Contact: Ila Lewis, (916) 654-4678. (15 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA CLIMATE ACTION REGISTRY. Possible approval of a grant for $200,000 to support Registry software upgrading, hosting and maintenance, development of the forest management and sequestration protocols, support ongoing recruitment of potential Registry members, and to support efforts to implement AB 1493. (PIER funded) Contact: Pierre deVair, (916) 653-8685. (15 minutes)
- ENERGY CONSERVATION ASSISTANCE ACT ACCOUNT BOND FUND. Possible approval of a loan to the El Monte Unified School District for $1,310,300 to install four 60-kilowatt natural gas fired microturbine cogeneration system, a 60-ton absorption chiller at the District's central kitchen and HVAC controls at various schools. This project is estimated to save about $158,858 annually and has a simple payback of 8.2 years. Contact: Joseph Wang, (916) 654-4026. (15 minutes)
- DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY CLEAN CITIES PROGRAM. Possible approval to accept $54,310 from the USDOE SEP Special Project Award to update a Energy Commission 1982 study that assessed the potential geothermal direct-use market and generic applications for projects in California. This study will create opportunities for new uses or expand existing geothermal direct use applications in selected geothermal resource/geographical areas of the State. Contact: Elaine Sison-Lebrilla, (916) 653-0363. (15 minutes)
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (USDOE) SEP AWARD. Possible approval to accept $54,310 from the USDOE SEP Special Project Award to update a Energy Commission 1982 study that assessed the potential geothermal direct-use market and generic applications for projects in California. This study will create opportunities for new uses or expand existing geothermal direct use applications in selected geothermal resource/geographical areas of the State. Contact: Elaine Sison-Lebrilla, (916) 653-0363. (15 minutes)
- DYNAMIC PRICING REPORT. Discussion and possible approval of the Commission's Report to the Legislature on Dynamic Pricing mandated by Senate Bill 1976 (Torlakson, Chapter 850, Statutes of 2002). Contact: Donald Kazama, (916) 654-5072. (15 minutes)
- PLATTS RESEARCH AND CONSULTING. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-014 for $25,860 for a two-year subscription in the E Source Information Services. (PIER funded) Contact: Donald Aumann, (916) 654-4588. (15 minutes)
- GAS TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-013 for $997,053 to investigate mold-resistant and energy-efficient residential building construction practices. (PIER funded). Contact: Martha Brook, (916) 654-4086. (15 minutes)
- EXIT FEE REGULATIONS (Docket No. 03-CRS-01). Discussion and possible adoption of regulations governing data collection and customer exemptions from cost responsibility surcharges or exit fees. This rulemaking supports CPUC Decision 03-04-030 and the Commission's authority to collect data pursuant to PRC Sections 25213, 2518(e), 25216, 25301 and 25320. Contact: Scott Tomashefsky, (916) 654-4896. (15 minutes)
- COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENT.Possible approval of a Committee Assignment for the 2004 Integrated Energy Policy Report Update and the 2005 Integrated Energy Policy Report. Contact: Bob Therkelsen, (916) 654-4996
Approval of Minutes from the October 8, 2003 meeting.
- Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission.
The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of Item 19.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at (916) 654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director -- (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Margaret J. Kim, Public Adviser -- (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Should you wish to participate via telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator that you want to speak and the item number.
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/]. Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site -- [www.energy.ca.gov]
| Back to Main Page