California Energy Commission
Wednesday, December 17, 2003
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/realaudio/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
1. CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved to later on the agenda).
- COMMISSION CO-SPONSORSHIP. Possible approval of a co-sponsorship request for which the Energy Commission might provide the use of its name, $3,000, a key-note speaker, presenters for conference sessions and staff a booth.
- Association of Energy Engineers West Coast Energy Management Congress, June 16-17, 2004, Anaheim, California.
- TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, ENERGY SYSTEMS LAB - TAMU. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-021 for $10,000 to co-sponsor the International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations. (PIER funded)
- ISG ENERGY, LLC. Possible approval of a request by ISG Energy, LLC and Chateau Energy Inc., to transfer the funding award ISG Energy received under Notice of Auction 06-01-3 to Chateau Energy Inc.
- CALPINE. Consideration of an objection to a public notice of proposed approval of an Insignificant Project Change request from Calpine to add a 4-acre temporary construction parking/storage area for the Metcalf Energy Center Project. Contact: Steve Munro, (916) 654-3936. (15 minutes)
- ROSEVILLE ENERGY PARK. Commission consideration of the Executive Director's Data Adequacy Recommendation for the Roseville Energy Park Application for Certification. This is a 12-month, 120 to 125-megawatt natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant located in the city of Roseville (Docket No. 03-AFC-1). Contact: Bob Eller, (916) 651-8835. (15 minutes)
- ROSEVILLE ENERGY PARK. Possible approval of a Committee for the Roseville Energy Park Application for Certification (Docket No. 03-AFC-1). Contact: Bob Eller, (916) 651-8835. (5 minutes)
- INLAND EMPIRE ENERGY CENTER. Possible adoption of the Presiding Member's Proposed Decision (PMPD) recommending certification of the proposed 670-megawatt Inland Empire Energy Center, located near Perris in Riverside County (Docket No. 01-AFC-17) Contact: Kerry Willis, (916) 654-3967. (15 minutes)
- INLAND EMPIRE ENERGY CENTER. Possible approval of a Committee for the Inland Empire Energy Center Application for Certification (Docket No. 01-AFC-17). Contact: Kerry Willis, (916) 654-3967. (5 minutes)
- SALTON SEA UNIT 6 GEOTHERMAL PROJECT. Consideration and possible adoption of the Presiding Member's Proposed Decision in the Salton Sea Unite 6 Geothermal Project Application for Certification recommending approval of the project (Docket No. 2-AFC-2) Contact: Garret Shean, (916) 654-3893. (15 minutes)
- SALTON SEA UNIT 6 GEOTHERMAL PROJECT. Possible approval of a Committee for the Salton Sea Unit 6 Geothermal Project Application for Certification (Docket No. 2-AFC-2) Contact: Garret Shean, (916) 654-3893. (5 minutes)
- KINGS RIVER CONSERVATION DISTRICT (KRCD). Possible approval of a Committee to oversee the Small Power Plant Exempt (SPPE) for the Kings River Conservation District Peaking Plant (KRCDPP). KRCD proposes to construct and operate a 97-megawatt generation plant located on a 19-acre industrial site south of Fresno near the community of Malaga, in Fresno County. (03-SPPE-2) Contact: Jack Caswell, (916) 653-0062. (15 minutes)
- COST RESPONSIBILITY SURCHARGE EXEMPTION PROCEEDING (Docket No. 03-CRS-01). Possible approval of a draft Form that will be distributed to customers of Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas and Electric, and San Diego Gas & Electric that seek an exemption from a Cost Responsibility Surcharge, in support of the California Public Utilities Commission Decision 03-040-030. Contact: Scott Tomashefsky, (916) 654-4898. (15 minutes)
- EMERGING RENEWABLES PROGRAM REBATE. Possible approval of revisions to the Emerging Renewables Program Guidebook to lower the rebate for systems installed through the program. Contact: Tim Tutt, (916) 654-4590. (15 minutes)
- COUNTY OF BUTTE. Possible approval of a loan to the county of Butte for $2,777,000 to install two photovoltaic solar systems totaling 862-kilowatts at the county administration building and west jail. This project is estimated to save about $277,700 annually and has a simple payback of 10 years. (ECAA Bond funded). Contact: Joseph Wang, (916) 654-4026. (15 minutes)
- GATEWAY HOSPITAL. Possible approval of a loan to Gateway Hospital for $54,000 to install a new 30 ton chiller and a 500,000 Btu/hour hot water boiler to replace the old 40 ton chiller and existing boiler. This project is estimated to save about $5,400 annually and has a simple payback of 10 years. (ECAA Bond funded) Contact: Joseph Wang, (916) 654-4026. (15 minutes)
- AB 549 INTERIM REPORT TO THE LEGISLATURE. Discussion and possible approval of the Energy Commission's AB 549 Interim Report to the Legislature on possible options for improving energy efficiency in existing residential and nonresidential buildings. This report is required by Assembly Bill 549 (AB 549, Chapter 905, Statutes of 2001) and is due to the Legislature by January 1, 2004. Contact: Elaine Hussey, (916) 654-5006. (15 minutes)
- RESIDENTIAL CLOTHES WASHER STANDARDS (Docket No. 03-AAER-01(RCW). Possible adoption of revised standards for residential clothes washers to include a legislatively-mandated water factor standard. Contact: R. Michael Martin, (916) 654-4039. (30 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA ENERGY INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Contract 600-03-021 for $48,000 to investigate the effects of uniform wholesale pricing and branded open supply legislation on California transportation fuel consumers. (ERPA funded) Contact: Brian Covi, (916) 654-4903. (15 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-022 for $1,306,951 to further develop energy use benchmarking tools, digital lighting controls and specifications for performance monitoring systems for commercial buildings. (PIER funded) Contact: Martha Brook, (916) 654-4086. (15 minutes)
- USDA FOREST SERVICE, SIERRA NEVADA RESEARCH CENTER, PSW. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-019 for $1,999,995 to develop a Life Cycle Assessment model that quantifies the costs and benefits associated with the utilization of wildland biomass produced by forest fuel reduction treatments for generation of electricity. Contact: Linda Spiegel, (916) 654-4703. (15 minutes)
- RESOURCES AGENCY. Possible approval of Contract 200-03-007 for $247,500 to provide assistance and coordination for new initiatives dealing with long term environmental and economic strategies for managing natural resources. Contact: Mark Hutchison, (916) 654-6718. (15 minutes)
Approval of minutes from the December 3, 2003 business meeting.
- Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to a closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters. [Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission.
The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of Item 25.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at (916) 654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to: Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director -- (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to: Margret Kim, Public Adviser -- (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Should you wish to participate via telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator that you want to speak and the item number. Please be aware that while the Commission makes this opportunity to participate by telephone available in an effort to make its hearings inclusive, parties who have comments that they consider to be essential for the Commission to hear should consider attending the hearing in person because there are occasional technical problems with our telephonic link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems but it cannot accept responsibility for them.
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/]. Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted, or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site -- [www.energy.ca.gov]