California Energy Commission
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Sacramento, California 95814
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved to later on the agenda).
- AWS TRUEWIND, LLC. Possible approval of Contract 500-03-006 Amendment 1, substituting the obligation for this contract from TrueWind Solutions, Inc to AWS Truewind, LLC. (PIER funded) Contact: Mike Kane, (916) 654-7119.
- IOWA ENERGY CENTER Ð IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY. Possible approval of a Work Authorization #UC MR-034, not to exceed $400,000 to support the National Building Controls Information Program (NBCIP) and collaborative research with the Iowa Energy Center. (PIER funded) Contact: Martha Brook, (916) 654-4086.
- ALLIANCE CENTURY ENERGY FACILITY. Consideration and possible approval of a petition to change the operator of the Alliance Century Energy Facility from Alliance Colton, LLC to PurEnergy Operating Services, LLC. (Docket No. 01-EP4C) Contact: Connie Bruins, (916) 654-4545.
- ALLIANCE DREWS ENERGY FACILITY. Consideration and possible approval of a petition to change the operator of the Alliance Drews Energy Facility from Alliance Colton, LLC to PurEnergy Operating Services, LLC. (Docket No. 01-EP5C) Contact: Connie Bruins, (916) 654-4545.
- ITRON, INC. Possible approval of a no-cost time extension of Contract 300-00-002 to allow adequate time for evaluation of the 2,800 commercial buildings database generated in this study. No other changes are being made to the contract scope, content of deliverables or cost of deliverables. Contact: Mark Ciminelli, (916) 654-4765.
- ELECTRICITY RATE SURCHARGE. Consideration and possible approval of the Electricity Surcharge Rate for 2005. Chapter 1124, Statutes of 2002, authorizes the Energy Commission to set the electricity surcharge rate at a public meeting each November for the calendar year starting the following January. Contact: Randy Roesser, (916) 654-4390. (10 minutes)
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY AND BOB LAWRENCE AND ASSOCIATES. Possible approval to accept a $99,991 grant from the U. S. Department of Energy for a cost benefits analysis on Energy Commission geothermal projects. This approval will also grant Bob Lawrence and Associates $84,909 to perform a portion of these services. Contact: Elaine Sison-Lebrilla, (916) 653-0363. (10 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT. Possible approval of Work Authorization #MR-035, not to exceed $443,927 for six awards under the PIER Environmental Area 2004 Environmental Exploratory Grant Program. The California Institute for Energy and Environment will administer these awards. (PIER funded) Contact: Gina Barkalow, (916) 654-4057. (5 minutes)
a. LAWRENCE BERKLEY NATIONAL LABORATORY, $75,000
b. U. C. DAVIS, $74,699
c. OAK RIDGE NATIONAL LABORATORY, $72,813
d. U. C. DAVIS, $71,418
e. CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, $74,997
f. LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY, $75,000
- RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Contract 500-04-010 with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, for $150,000 to participate in the Lighting Research Center Partnership Program at $50,000 per year for three years, reviewed annually. (PIER funded) Contact: Steve Williams, (916) 654-4050. (5 minutes)
Approval of the Minutes from the November 3, 2004 business meeting.
- Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission.
The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of Item 12.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at (916) 654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director -- (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser -- (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Should you wish to participate via telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator that you want to speak and the item number.
Please note that while the Commission affords members of the public to also participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephonic link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems. However, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. As such, if you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or email to the Public Adviser by 5p.m. two days prior to the Scheduled Business Meeting.
Should you wish to connect via the WebCast, the new address is:
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/]. Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [email@example.com] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site -- www.energy.ca.gov