California Energy Commission
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Sacramento, California 95814
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved to later on the agenda).
- COMMISSION CO-SPONSORSHIP. Possible approval of a co-sponsorship request for which the Energy Commission may provide staff time, travel expenses and/or the use of its name for the following event.
- COMMONWEALTH ENERGY CORPORATION. Possible approval of Contract 500-00-036 Amendment 1, for a no-cost time extension from March 2005 to March 2006. This extension will allow the contractor additional time necessary to complete the project. (PIER funded) Contact: Jessica Zhang.
- BUILDING INDUSTRY INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Contract 400-00-037 Amendment 1, that reduces the work scope and budget to terminate three research program elements. The PIER Buildings Program has recommended this budget reduced from $996,020 to $516,756. (PIER funded) Contact: Martha Brook (5 minutes)
- WALNUT ENERGY CENTER. Possible approval of a petition to modify the use of the interim water supply from potable to lower-quality well water and to use potable water for limited construction activities instead of lower-quality ground water. (Docket No. 02-AFC-4C) Contact: Lance Shaw. (5 minutes)
- EMERGING RENEWABLES PROGRAM. Possible adoption of substantive changes to the Guidebook for the Emerging Renewables Program. Notable changes include guidelines for implementing the $10 million Pilot Performance-Based Incentive Program, an additional test protocol for eligible inverters, and the elimination of time extensions. Possible adoption of the Renewables Committee’s Decisions on the Pilot Performance-Based Incentive Program. Contact: Tony Brasil. (5 minutes)
- FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ELECTRICITY RESOURCES AND BULK TRANSMISSION DATA SUBMITTAL. Possible approval of the Forms and Instructions for the Electricity Resources and Bulk Transmission Data Submittal in support of the 2005 Integrated Energy Policy Report (IEPR 2005). Contact: Al Alvarado. (15 minutes)
- 2005 INTEGRATED ENERGY POLICY REPORT. Consideration of and possible decision to initiate enforcement activities for certain load serving entities subject to the Energy Commission’s November 3, 2004, retail price data submittal order. Contact: Caryn Holmes. (15 minutes)
- CITY OF PALM DESERT. Possible approval of a $197,135 loan to the city of Palm Desert to retrofit the existing lighting system with a more energy efficient equipment, and install a new 50-kilowatt (DC) photovoltaic system at the City’s existing carports. This project is estimated to save approximately $19,835 annually in reduced energy cost and has a simple payback of approximately 9.8 years. (ECCA funded) Contact: Adel Suleiman. (5 minutes)
- CENTER FOR CLEAN AIR POLICY. Possible approval of Contract 600-04-019 for $50,000 to provide analytical support for the Commission’s Climate Change Program and the 2005 Integrated Energy Policy Report on state and regional climate change policies for the utility and power sector. (ERPA funded) Contact: Susan Brown. (5 minutes)
- BUILDING MEDIA, INC., (BMI). Possible approval of Contract 400-04-008 for $285,000 to provide Internet training videos and other interactive information on the Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings Standards as well as energy efficiency information for building department personnel, builders and consumers. (DOE Grant/ERPA funded) Contact: John Eash. (5 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA WIND ENERGY COLLABORATIVE (CWEC). Possible approval of Work Authorization WA #MR-017 (Contract 500-02-004) amendment with the University of California, Davis to add $2.3 million to the Contract and extend the work term to June 30, 2006. During this extended period, the Collaborative will continue to plan and administer CWEC activities ($462,000) and will increase its scope of work with additional and expanded tasks related to the Commission’s Integrated Energy Policy Report activities. (PIER funded) Contact: Dora Yen-Nakafuji (5 minutes)
- EL SEGUNDO POWER II LLC REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT. Commission consideration of possible reconsideration on the Commission’s own motion pursuant to Public Resources Code section 25530. This item allows any member of the Commission to propose a reconsideration of petitions of this decision for any reason. This item does not preclude Commission consideration of petitions for reconsideration which the parties may file on or before January 24, 2005. (Docket No. 00-AFC-14) Contact: Bill Chamberlain (20 minutes)
Approval of the Minutes from the December 23, 2004 and January 5, 2005 business meetings.
- Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director’s Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters. [Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director’s Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
- 11th National Clean Cities Conference, May 1-4, 2005, Palm Springs, California. ($4,950 ERPA funds) Contact: Peter Ward.
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission.
The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of Item 17.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at (916) 654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director -- (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser -- (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Should you wish to participate via telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator that you want to speak and the item number.
Please note that while the Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission’s telephonic link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems. However, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. As such, if you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or email to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days prior to the Scheduled Business Meeting.
Should you wish to connect via the WebCast, the new address is: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to alert you about Business Meeting agendas on the Internet. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers/]. Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.Energy Commission Web Site -- www.energy.ca.gov