Celebrating 30 Years 1975 - 2005
California Energy Commission
November 3, 2005
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be discussed and moved to later on the agenda).
- PETER'S SHORTHAND REPORTING CORPORATION. Possible approval of Contract 150-04-002, Amendment 2, to correct an error in the total amount and authorization ($181,695) of the original contract. This amendment also corrects Section 3 of Amendment 1, to show that the maximum amount of this agreement is $181,695. (ERPA funded) Contact: Betty McCann.
- COMMONWEALTH ENERGY CORPORATION. Possible approval of Contract 500-00-036, Amendment 2, substituting the obligation for this contract from Commonwealth Energy Corporation to Commerce Energy, Inc. The contractor has legally changed its business name, but in all other respects, this project remains unchanged. (PIER-Renew funded) Contact: Zhiqin (Jessica) Zhang.
- GEOPRAXIS, INC. Possible approval of Contract 500-04-020, Amendment 1, substituting the obligation for this contract from GeoPraxis, Inc. to Green Building Studio, Inc. The contractor has legally changed its business name, but in all other respects, this project remains unchanged. (PIER-Bldgs) Contact: Norm Bourassa.
- AMERESCO SANTA CRUZ ENERGY LLC. Possible approval of Funding Award Agreement REN-98-006, Amendment 1, under the New Renewable Resources Account, assigning the funding award for the Buena Vista Landfill Gas Power Project from the county of Santa Cruz, to Ameresco Santa Cruz Energy LLC, and increasing the capacity of the project from 1.97 to 3.2 megawatts. Contact: Tony Goncalves.
- CITY OF SUNNYVALE. Possible approval of Funding Award Agreement REN-98-049, Amendment 1, under the New Renewable Resources Account, reducing the funding award for the city of Sunnyvale, at their request, from $210,448 (18,709,000 kWh) to $103,968 (9,193,626 kWh). Contact: Tony Goncalves.
- LUZ SOLAR PARTNERS LTD., VIII AND IX. Possible approval of a petition from Luz Solar Partners Ltd., VIII and IX to modify the SEGS IX Project (89-AFC-1C) to change the contractual method for delivering up to 75 acre feet of water annually to the Harper Lake wetlands. Contact: Steve Munro. (5 minutes)
- INLAND EMPIRE ENERGY CENTER (Docket No. 01-AFC-17C). Possible approval of a petition to transfer the ownership to Southern California Edison of the 0.9 mile overhead 500-kV transmission line that connects the Inland Empire Energy Center facility to the Valley Substation. The petition also requests approval to delete a condition of certification pertaining to electric and magnetic fields. Contact: Connie Bruins. (10 minutes)
- CITY OF BUENAVENTURA. Possible approval of a loan augmentation of $116,740 to the City of San Buenaventura's existing loan of $337,920, for a total of $454,660. The loan augmentation is needed due to higher equipment cost than estimated and will be used to install energy efficient lights, energy management controls and variable frequency drives on city HVAC systems in various city facilities. These projects are estimated to save about $138,000 annually and have a simple payback of 3.3 years after rebate. (ECAA and/or bond funded) Contact: Joseph Wang. (5 minutes)
- CITY OF VICTORVILLE. Possible approval of a loan for $272,004 to the city of Victorville. This loan will be used to install 14 packaged Ice Bear thermal energy storage systems at five city facilities. This project is estimated to save about $27,711 annually and has a simple payback of 9.8 years. (ECAA and/or bond funded) Contact: Joseph Wang. (5 minutes)
- EL SEGUNDO POWER REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT (Docket No. 00-AFC-14C). Possible consideration of a petition to modify the El Segundo Power Redevelopment Project to delay the required $5 million payment of biological mitigation funds to the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission. Contact: Chuck Najarian. (30 minutes)
- VALERO REFINERY COMPANY. Possible approval of a petition from the Valero Refinery Company, California, for a two-year extension of the on-line date for Phase 2 of the Valero Cogeneration Project, to allow time to consider the viability of Phase 2 due to the uncertainty of the electricity market. Contact: Jeri Scott. (10 minutes)
- GAS TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Contract 500-05-017 for $359,990 with Gas Technology Institute to demonstrate burners capable of reducing NOx emissions by up to 50 percent from current levels with no performance penalties. These burners are utilized in the aluminum remelting industry. (PIER Natural Gas Program-Ind/Ag/Water funded) Contact: Michael Lozano. (10 minutes)
Approval of the October 19, 2005, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee and Oversight
A discussion on Commission Committee and Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228
Should you wish to participate via telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator that you want to speak and the item number.
Please note that while the Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephonic link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems. However, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. As such, if you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days prior to the Scheduled Business Meeting.
Should you wish to listen in to the meeting via the Internet, the URL / web address is:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop and library.
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to send you Business Meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our website [ www.energy.ca.gov/listservers ].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [email@example.com] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number that is located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web Site: www.energy.ca.gov