California Energy Commission
April 12, 2006
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting).
- INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE INTEGRATION OF RENEWABLE & DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES. Possible approval to co-sponsor the 2nd International Conference on the Integration of Renewable & Distributed Energy Resources on December 4- 8, 2006 in Napa, California. The Energy Commission will provide $20,000 under Contract 500-02-014 and name use (other sponsors include USDOE and Electric Power Research Institute). The Commission will benefit by sharing PIER research with national and international researchers, stimulating more program coordination and identifying barriers and solutions to research issues. (PIER funded) Contact: Mark Rawson
- PALOMAR ENERGY CENTER. Possible approval of a petition allowing the Palomar Energy Center to use the City of Escondido's backup raw water supply on an emergency basis. The raw water will be used for cooling tower makeup, landscape irrigation and all other non-potable uses when recycled water is unavailable. (Docket No. 01-AFC-24C) Contact: Connie Bruins (10 minutes)
- 2005 NET SYSTEM POWER CALCULATION. Possible approval of the calculation used by California's electricity retailers in their power content labels, as discussed in the Net System Power Report. Contact: Mignon Marks (30 minutes)
- 2005 APPLIANCE EFFICIENCY REGULATIONS (Docket No. 06-AAER-1). The Efficiency Committee will report its plans to continue to a future notice date the adoption of the proposed amendments to regulations for power supplies and digital adapters to allow for the issuance of 15-Day language changes. Contact: Jim Holland (10 minutes)
- BONDLOGISTIX. Possible approval of Contract 400-05-018 for $22,500 with Bondlogistix to provide rebate arbitrage services for the Energy Efficiency Master Revenue Bond Series 2003A and 2005A. (ECAA Bond funded) Contact: Jane Heinz (10 minutes)
- ENERGY CONCEPTS COMPANY. Possible approval of Contract 500-05-033 for $40,000 with Energy Concepts Company to supply, install and monitor the performance of a ThermoSorber unit (a gas-fired hot water heat pump) that will meet the refrigeration and hot water requirements at a California food processing plant. (PIER-Industrial funded) Contact: Rajesh Kapoor (10 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY (LBNL). Possible approval of Contract 500-05-034 for $1,253,000 with LBNL to develop, use and validate the performance of cool-colored roofing materials. (PIER- Buildings funded) Contact: Chris Scruton (10 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS (UCD). Possible approval of Contract 600- 05-007 for $99,426 to UCD to study and evaluate the willingness of consumers to purchase more fuel efficient but more expensive light-duty vehicles. (SEP funded) Contact: Gerry Bemis. (10 minutes)
Approval of the March 29, 2006, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
- VERNON POWER PLANT. Possible approval of the Executive Director's recommendation on data adequacy for the Vernon Power Plant Application for Certification (06-AFC-1) and consideration of Committee assignment. The City of Vernon filed an application to construct and operate the Vernon Power Plant, a 610-megawatt combined cycle facility, located within the City boundaries. Contact: James Reede, Jr. (10 minutes)
IN ADDITION TO THE AGENDA THAT WAS SENT March 30, 2006, THE COMMISSION WILL TAKE A VOTE TO CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEM. ONCE THE VOTE IS TAKEN THE COMMISSION MAY CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEM:
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at (916) 654-5146, five days prior to the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director - (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting
should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser - (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Commission provides members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission’s telephone link. The Commission makes every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to send you business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov