California Energy Commission
Wednesday June 7, 2006
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- PETERS SHORTHAND REPORTING CORPORATION. Possible approval of an amendment to Contract 150-04-002 for a no-cost, one-year time extension to June 30, 2007, for hearing reporting services for various meetings, workshops, depositions and committee meetings. Contact: Susanne Garfield.
- PETERS SHORTHAND REPORTING CORPORATION. Possible approval of an amendment to Contract 170-04-001 for a no-cost, one-year time extension to June 30, 2007, for hearing reporting services for Siting Committee hearings, workshops and other identified Siting Committee proceedings. Contact: Katherine Nicholls.
- CONSUMER POWER AND CONSERVATION FINANCING AUTHORITY. Possible approval of an amendment to Contract R500-02-006 for a no-cost time extension of 18 months to June 30, 2008. This extension allows Solar Schools Program participants to complete solar photovoltaic projects and to disburse the remaining funding of the Solar Schools program. Contact: Marija Krapcevich
- RESOURCES AGENCY. Possible approval of Contract 200-06-002 for a one-year interagency agreement with Resources Agency for $144,500 to provide assistance and coordination as the principal communications link between the Governor's Office and the Energy Commission. (ERPA funded) Contact: Randy Roesser. (10 minutes)
- CPS HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES. Possible approval of Contract 200-05-003 for $100,000 to provide consulting services to resolve the Energy Commission's recruitment and retention issues. The contractor would develop specific classification and pay packages for review and approval by state control agencies. (ERPA funded) Contact: Gina Tosi-Smith. (10 minutes)
- ARCHITECTURAL ENERGY CORPORATION. Possible approval of Contract 400-05-020 for $400,000 to develop a California home energy rating system. Technical assistance by the contractor will include energy modeling services, developing program regulations, writing a technical manual, participating in a rulemaking proceeding and developing informational material for home buyers and others involved in residential real estate transactions. (ERPA and SEP funded) Contact: Dale Trenschel. (10 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD (CARB). Possible approval of an amendment to augment the Lower Emission School Bus Contract R500-00-017 by $5,500,000 to replace pre-1977 school buses identified by the CARB and operated by public school districts in California. (AB 425 funded) Contact: Mike Trujillo. (15 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY. Possible approval of an amendment to add 5.5 years and $675,000 to Contract 500-03-022. The "Final Phase Research - High Performance Commercial Building Systems (HPCBS) Program" is developing benchmarking and data exchange tools for building design software, and commissioning cost/benefit information. This project uses 2002 Commercial End Use Survey data collected by the Energy Commission to meet requirements of the California Code of Regulations, Title 20, section 1340 et seq. (PIER-Buildings funded) Contact: Martha Brook. (10 minutes)
- LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORTORY. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to add $613,000 to Contract 500-05-001, "Demand Response as a System Reliability Resource."The amendment extends the test period through summer 2006, allowing Southern California Edison additional time to recruit and deploy residential customer air-conditioning load control devices and adds new work that analyzes the time value of Demand Response compared to traditional spinning reserve provided by generation resources. (PIER-ESI funded) Contact: Mark Rawson. (10 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD (CARB). Possible approval of Contract 500-05-013 for $345,961 (matched by CARB) to develop methodology that measures the economic impact of air pollution on neighborhoods. The project will identify neighborhoods that are particularly vulnerable to new emission sources and develop a screening tool to guide regulatory decisions, enforcement activities and community outreach. (PIER-EA 2004/2005 funds) Contact: Kelly Birkinshaw and Marla Mueller. (10 Minutes)
- CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD (CARB). Possible approval of Contract 500 05-043 for a $50,000 co sponsorship, retroactive to May 8, 2006, for the Haagen-Smit Symposium. (PIER-Transportation funded) Contact: Philip Misemer. (10 minutes)
- KEMA, INC. Possible approval of Contract 600-05-010, for $643,360 for surveys of California households and commercial fleets to update vehicle preference in light of current high fuel prices and new transportation technologies. Survey results will feed directly into the CalCars demand forecasting model. (ERPA funded) Contact: Malachi Weng-Gutierrez. (10 minutes)
- EL CENTRO UNIT 3 REPOWER - SMALL POWER PLANT EXEMPTION (06-SPPE-2). Possible Committee assignment for the proposed El Centro Unit 3 Repower Project to replace an existing steam-generating unit within the site of the existing El Centro Generating Station. The project would increase the existing generating capacity by 84 megawatts from 44 MW to 128 MW. Contact: Mary Dyas. (10 minutes)
- TRUSTEES OF THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY. Possible approval of seven grant applications, totaling $521,922, in response to Solicitation Cycle 05-02-02 of the Energy Innovations Small Grant program. (PIER funded) Contact: Dave Michel. (10 minutes)
- 502-02-54, Q1 NanoSystems. Nanostructure Array for Solar Cell Applications. $75,000
- 05-02-42, Cal Poly Foundation, Fiscal Agent. Computer Controlled LED Array Power Supply and Controller. $74,026
- 05-02-12, University of Nevada, Reno. Municipal Sludge Drying and Conversion for Electricity Production. $74, 996
- 05-02-05, Strategic Development Advisors LLC. Solar Panel Modular Technology: A Feasibility Study for Solar Assisted HVAC. $74,800
- 05-02-29, Sonlight, Inc. Small Wind Turbine Generator for Low Wind Speed/Low Noise Turbine. $75,000
- 05-02-40 One-Cycle Control, Inc. A 3-Phase Grid-Tied Inverter that Suppresses Harmonics and Reactives. $75,000
- 05-02-22, Nrgtix, Inc. Low-Cost Seawater Desalination. $73,100
- ZETETIC ASSOCIATES, INC. Possible approval of Contract 600-05-009 for $49,965 for assistance to design survey questions for vehicle fleet owners (e.g. refuse haulers, taxicab companies) about their willingness to use different types of alternative-fueled vehicles. Survey will be conducted using an on-line service, and results will be analyzed and used for the AB 1007 report. (ERPA funded) Contact: Jason Sterling. (10 minutes)
Approval of the May 24, 2006, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item. If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director - (916) 654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting
should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser - (916) 654-4489 or (800) 822-6228
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
If you wish to listen to the meeting via the Internet, the URL / Web address is:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system to send you business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov