California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, February 14, 2007
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- CALIFORNIA CLIMATE ACTION REGISTRY. Possible approval of a co-sponsorship of $4,500, staff time and use of the Energy Commission's name for the California Climate Action Registry annual conference March 19-21, 2007, in Santa Barbara, California. Contact: Pierre duVair.
- CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to PIER Work Authorization MR-024 with Conservation International, under the UC Master Research Agreement 500-02-004 with The Regents of the University of California - Office of the President/CIEE, for a one-year no cost time extension for Dynamic Ecosystem Modeling for California. Contact: Brian Ellis.
- M.CUBED. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to Contract 500-03-009 with M.Cubed for a one-year no-cost time extension for longer monitoring of the costs, benefits, and cost-effectiveness of distributed energy resource options for customers, utilities, and society. Contact: Rachel MacDonald.
- CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to Contract 400-03-009 with California Community College Chancellor's Office for a one-year no-cost time extension to expand the California Community Colleges Interval Metering project to additional campuses. Contact: Amir Ehyai.
- LATROBE SCHOOL DISTRICT. Possible approval of a $92,000 loan to the Latrobe School District to install a 29.99kW photovoltaic system at Miller's Hill School. This project is estimated to save the district approximately $9,389 annually and has a simple payback of 9.8 years based on the loan amount. (ECAA and/or Bond funded.) Contact: Monica Rudman. (10 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, MERCED. Possible approval of Work Authorization MR-062 for $242,000 with the Regents of the University of California, Merced under the UC Master Research Agreement 500 02-004 with the Regents of the University of California Office of the President/CIEE. The project is Liquid Desiccant-Based Integrated Hybrid Refrigeration Technology for Energy-Efficient Refrigerated Warehouses. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Rajesh Kapoor. (10 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS. Possible approval of Amendment 3 to PIER Work Authorization MR-017 with the University of California, Davis under the UC Master Research Agreement 500-02-004 with the Regents of the University of California - Office of the President/CIEE to add $176,687 and a nine-month time extension for the California Wind Energy Collaborative. This project uses the methodology already developed under this work authorization to project for 2010 and 2020 the integration costs and capacity credit for variable resources (wind and solar). (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Mike Kane. (10 minutes)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY. Possible approval of Work Authorization MR-063 for $456,644 with the University of California, Berkeley, under the UC Master Research Agreement 500-02-004 with the Regents of the University of California - Office of the President/CIEE for Water, Energy and Climate Change. Two research projects will use water supply models to study climate impacts and adaptation strategies for both high-elevation hydropower and large-scale water management in California. A third project will examine household water and energy use data for projections of statewide water and electricity demand under future climate scenarios, including the water-energy relationship. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Brian Ellis. (10 minutes)
- ORDER INSTITUTING RULEMAKING FOR ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION CORRIDOR ZONES. Possible adoption of an Order Instituting Rulemaking authorizing a proceeding to develop regulations implementing the Energy Commission's new authority to designate electric transmission corridor zones under Public Resources Code sections 25330-25341 (Senate Bill 1059, Statutes of 2006, Chapter 638.) Contact: Arlene Ichien. (10 minutes)
- RETAIL PRICE FORECAST DATA REQUEST. Possible adoption of Forms and Instructions for Submitting Retail Price Forecast Data. This publication represents a formal request to California's major utilities and energy service providers for selected cost and sales data needed to prepare a ten-year forecast of electricity prices for the 2007 Integrated Energy Policy Report. Contact: Mignon Marks. (10 minutes)
Approval of the January 30, 2007, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Executive Director - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Margret Kim, Public Adviser - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site www.energy.ca.gov/listservers.Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov