California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, August 29, 2007
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- ENERGYPRO. Possible approval of ENERGYPRO version 4.4 for use in complying with the 2005 Nonresidential Building Energy Efficiency Standards. This version will include modeling capabilities for thermal energy storage systems. Contact: Rob Hudler.
- BUILDING STANDARDS COMPLIANCE OPTION FOR THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS. Possible approval of a compliance option submitted by EnergySoft, LLC For thermal energy storage systems for use with the 2005 Building Energy Efficiency Standards. Approval of this compliance option will provide appropriate compliance credit when thermal energy storage systems are used as part of a nonresidential building mechanical system. Contact: Rob Hudler.
IN ADDITION TO THE AGENDA DISTRIBUTED AUGUST 17, 2007, THE COMMISSION WILL TAKE A VOTE TO CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEM. ONCE THE VOTE IS TAKEN THE COMMISSION WILL POSSIBLY CONSIDER THE ITEM:
1c. CARBON MARKETS, USA. Possible approval of a co-sponsorship of $4,950, staff time, travel expenses, and use of the Energy Commission's name for the Carbon Markets USA conference September 11-12, 2007, in San Francisco. Contact: Alan Argentine.
- WESTERN INTERSTATE ENERGY BOARD. Possible approval of Contract 150 07 003 for $18,000 with Western Interstate Energy Board (WIEB) to continue the Energy Commission's membership for one year. Membership allows the Energy Commission to participate in WIEB meetings and deliberations and provides an opportunity for California to contribute to a more economically secure and environmentally sound energy future for the West. (ERPA funding.) Contact: William Chamberlain. (5 minutes)
- TECHNICAL & MANAGEMENT STAFFING ASSOCIATES, INC. Possible approval of Contract 400-07-002 for $50,000 with Technical & Management Staffing Associates, Inc. for temporary staff support for the Energy Commission's Emerging Renewables Program and the New Solar Homes Partnership. (RRTF funding.) Contact: Nick Fugate (5 minutes)
- CPV SENTINEL ENERGY PROJECT SECOND DATA ADEQUACY RECOMMENDATION AND POSSIBLE COMMITTEE APPOINTMENT. Contact: Bill Pfanner. (10 minutes)
- Possible approval of the Executive Director's second data adequacy recommendation for CPV Sentinel, LLC's Application for Certification for the CPV Sentinel 850 megawatt Sentinel Energy Peaker Project. (07-AFC-3)
- Possible appointment of a Committee for the CPV Sentinel Energy Project.
- RUSSELL CITY ENERGY CENTER. Possible approval of a Petition for Extension of Deadline for Commencement of Construction of the Russell City Energy Center from September 7, 2007 to September 10, 2008. The Russell City Energy Center is a 600 MW natural-gas fired combined cycle power plant in Hayward, certified by the Energy Commission on September 11, 2002. The facility is also the subject of a proposed major amendment that has yet to be decided by the Commission. Contact: Kevin W. Bell. (10 minutes)
- SB 1368 REGULATIONS - ADOPTION. Possible adoption of Regulations Establishing and Implementing a Greenhouse Gases Emission Performance Standard for Local Publicly Owned Electric Utilities, as proposed by the Electricity Committee under SB 1368 and amended by 15-day changes published on August 10, 2007, to address deficiencies identified by the Office of Administrative Law. Contact: Lisa DeCarlo. (20 minutes)
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters. [Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Claudia Chandler, Assistant Executive Director - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site www.energy.ca.gov/listservers.Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov