California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, March 12, 2008
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD. Possible approval of Contract 500 07-035 for $25,000 with California Air Resources Board to co-sponsor the Haagen-Smit Symposium 2008, which will focus on the effects of climate change. (ERPA funding.) Contact: Erik Stokes.
- CANYON POWER PLANT PROJECT (07-AFC-9). Contact: Che McFarlin. (5 minutes)
- Possible approval of the Executive Director's data adequacy recommendation for Southern California Public Power Authority's Application for Certification of the Canyon (Anaheim) Power Plant Project, a nominal 200 megawatt natural gas-fired simple-cycle generating facility, in northern Orange County, California.
- Possible appointment of a siting committee for the Canyon Power Plant Project.
- SACRAMENTO COGENERATION AUTHORITY - PROCTOR AND GAMBLE COGENERATION FACILITY (93-AFC-2C). Possible approval of Sacramento Cogeneration Authority's petition to upgrade three combustion turbines at the Proctor and Gamble Cogeneration Facility. The upgrades are anticipated to lower the turbines' air pollutant emissions and raise thermal efficiency, increasing facility output by 22 megawatts (nominal) by summer 2008. Contact: Paula David. (10 minutes)
- U. S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY-NATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY LABORATORY. Possible approval of Contract 500-07-034 for $1,000,000 with the U.S. Department of Energy-National Renewable Energy Laboratory to develop software tools that will be used to incorporate new building technologies and systems in future Title 24 Building Standards. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Martha Brook. (5 minutes)
- INTERIM OPINION ON GREENHOUSE GAS REGULATORY STRATEGIES. Possible adoption of the Energy Commission and Public Utilities Commission Joint AB 32 Implementation Committee's Interim Opinion on Greenhouse Gas Regulatory Strategies issued February 8, 2008. The Interim Opinion makes recommendations to the California Air Resources Board regarding point of regulation, allocation principles and complementary programs for implementation of Assembly Bill 32 (Nunez, Chapter 488, Statutes of 2006). Contact: Karen Griffin/Marc Pryor. (10 minutes)
- ENERGY COMMISSION COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS. Possible approval of revised committee assignments for the Energy Commission's Standing Committees and Siting Committees. Contact: Tim Tutt. (5 minutes)
Approval of the February 27, 2008, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item. If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media & Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you wish to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our website [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814, and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [email@example.com] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov