California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, April 16, 2008
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- PORTLAND ENERGY CONSERVATION, INC. Possible approval of Contract 500 07 041 for $10,000 with Portland Energy Conservation, Inc. to co-sponsor the 16th National Conference on Building Commissioning in Newport Beach, California. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Norm Bourassa.
- SCIENCE APPLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to Contract 600-04-026 with Science Applications International Corporation for a no-cost nine-month time extension and budget changes to accommodate increased hourly rates. Contact: Mike McCormack.
- GAS TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to Contract 500-05-019 with Gas Technology Institute for a no-cost time extension due to permitting issues, pulsation problems and delivery delays. These issues have been resolved and the demonstration boiler unit has been installed at the site. Testing thus far of the demonstration unit has shown NOx levels of 4 to 5 parts per million with a fuel-to-steam efficiency of 95 percent. Contact: Michael Lozano.
- CALIFORNIA STATE SCIENCE FAIR. Possible approval of $2,000 to sponsor a total of six California State Science Fair awards for students who have created science projects that have exceptional energy and environmental merit. Contact: Chris Graillat.
- AVENAL ENERGY (08-AFC-1). Contact: Christopher Meyer. (10 minutes)
- Possible approval of the Executive Director's data adequacy recommendation on Avenal Power Center LLC's application for certification of Avenal Energy.
- Possible appointment of a siting committee for Avenal Energy.
- RIVERSIDE ENERGY RESOURCE CENTER UNITS 3 AND 4 (08-SPPE-01). Contact: Felicia Miller. (5 minutes)
- Possible acceptance of the City of Riverside's application for a Small Power Plant Exemption for Riverside Energy Resource Center Units 3 and 4, a gas-fired peaking project with a capacity of approximately 95 megawatts. The project expands an existing 96 MW peaking facility exempted by the Commission in 2004, that began operating in June 2006.
- Possible appointment of a siting committee for Riverside Energy Resource Center Units 3 and 4.
- KEMA, INCORPORATED. Possible approval of Contract 400-07-030 for $3,681,000 with KEMA, Incorporated to provide technical assistance to the Renewable Energy Program. The Renewable Energy Program distributes funds for the support of existing, new and emerging renewable energy projects; consumer education about renewable energy; and rebates to customers who purchase renewable energy. (RRTF funding.) Contact: Rachel Salazar. (10 minutes)
- SOUTH COAST AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT. Possible approval of Contract 500-07-039 for $500,000 with South Coast Air Quality Management District for development work for Westport's HPDI LNG engine to demonstrate California Air Resources Board and Environmental Protection Agency 2010 Emission Standards. (PIER natural gas funding.) Contact: Jerry Wiens. (10 minutes)
- ADVANCED GENERATION, COMBINED HEAT AND POWER SYSTEMS GRANT SOLICITATION. Possible approval of an award of $501,437 to Gas Technology Institute (GTI) for GTI's proposal in response to the 2006 Advanced Generation, CHP Systems Grant Solicitation. GTI will develop and demonstrate an ultra-low-NOx CHP system that packages a state-of-the-art gas turbine and boiler with an innovative natural gas-fired supplemental burner. GTI and their partners will provide $673,283 in match funding. (PIER natural gas funding.) Contact: Jennifer Allen. (10 minutes)
- ORDER INSTITUTING INFORMATION PROCEEDING (OIIP). Possible approval of an OIIP to gather and assess information for preparation of the 2008 Integrated Energy Policy Report (IEPR) Update and the 2009 IEPR as required by Public Resources Code section 25302(a) and 25302(d). Contact: Suzanne Korosec. (10 minutes.)
- NET SYSTEM POWER REPORT. Possible approval of the 2007 Net System Power Report as required by the Power Content Disclosure Program. Contact: Daryl Metz. (5 minutes)
Download 2007 Net System Power Report, Staff Report. Publication # CEC-200-2008-002. (PDF file, 27 pags, 416 kb).
- PUBLIC INTEREST ENERGY RESEARCH (PIER) 2007 ANNUAL REPORT. Possible approval of the 2007 PIER Annual Report to the Legislature. Contact: Thom Kelly. (10 minutes)
Download Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Program 2007 Annual Report, Draft Report. Publication # CEC-500-2008-026-D. (PDF file, 55 pags, 1.0 MB).
Approval of the April 2, 2008, Business Meeting minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item. If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media & Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [email@example.com] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov