California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, May 21, 2008
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- O'BANION & RITCHEY LLP. Possible approval of Contract 140-07-001 for $10,000 with O'Banion & Ritchey LLP to obtain intellectual property legal services for the Energy Commission. (ERPA funding.) Contact: Liz Flores.
- MALBURG GENERATING STATION (01-AFC-25C). Possible approval of Bicent (California) Malburg, LLC's Petition for Change in Ownership and Operational Control. The Petition reflects the transfer of the Project's assets, ownership, and operational control from the City of Vernon to Bicent (California) Malburg, LLC, effective April 10, 2008. Contact: Kevin W. Bell.
- KERN RIVER COGENERATION COMPANY - KERN RIVER POWER PROJECT (82-AFC-2C). Possible approval of an amendment petition to upgrade emission controls on the project's four combustion turbines. The upgrades are anticipated to lower the turbines' NOx emissions from 16.4 parts per million (ppm) to 3 ppm to comply with the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District retrofit rule. Contact: Chris Davis. (10 minutes)
- SYCAMORE COGENERATION COMPANY - SYCAMORE COGENERATION POWER PROJECT (84-AFC-6C). Possible approval of an amendment petition to upgrade emission controls on the project's four combustion turbines. The upgrades are anticipated to lower the turbines' air pollutant emissions to comply with the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District retrofit rule. Contact: Chris Davis. (10 minutes)
- CITY OF CHULA VISTA. Possible approval of a $425,867 loan augmentation to the City of Chula Vista's existing $607,446 loan, awarded on February 27, 2008. The original loan was used to fund lighting systems, HVAC and other energy efficient projects. This loan augmentation will fund the installation of new high efficiency boilers, reactivation of the solar hot water system, replacement of the swimming pool cover and will include additional project costs associated with the earlier loan. The combined cost is $1,033,313 and the projects are estimated to annually save the city approximately 1.4 million kwh, 49,600 therms and $214,654. The simple payback is approximately 4.8 years (ECAA and/or ECAA bond funded). Contact: Karen Perrin. (10 minutes)
- ABT SRBI. Possible approval of Contract 600-07-004 for $600,000 with Abt SRBI to survey California households and commercial fleets that purchase and operate light-duty vehicles (up to 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight). The Energy Commission will use the survey data to enhance and improve its transportation forecast modeling capabilities. (ERPA funding.) Contact: Libbie Bessman. (10 minutes)
- STANFIELD SYSTEMS, INC. Possible approval of Contract CEC3360-56 for $1,459,584 with Stanfield Systems, Inc. to design, develop, and test DynaSim, a new transportation energy demand forecasting tool. DynaSim will be used by the Fuels and Transportation Division to develop transportation energy demand forecasts. The software developer will provide technical support during the six month pilot phase of the DynaSim framework. (ERPA funding.) Contact: Malachi Weng-Guiterrez. (10 minutes)
- ENTERPRISE NETWORKING SOLUTIONS. Possible approval of California Multiple Award Schedule (CMAS) Purchase Order 07 409.00 025 for $110,000 with Enterprise Networking Solutions, Inc. to design and implement an automated webpage that will allow the public to search and retrieve information directly from the Appliance Database maintained by the Energy Commission's Appliance Efficiency Program. (ERPA funding.) Contact: Peter Strait. (10 minutes)
- REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT. Possible approval of Contract 500-07-037 for $5,850,866 with the Regents of the University of California, Office of the President, California Institute for Energy and Environment for thirteen research projects to improve the transmission of renewable energy. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Jamie Patterson. (10 minutes)
- GEOTHERMAL RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT ACCOUNT GRANTS. Possible approval of seven funding awards totaling $5,726,047 under the Geothermal Resources Development Account (GRDA) 2007 Grant Solicitation. The proposed grants are the recommendations of a Technical Advisory Committee which scored and ranked 17 final applications received. The recommended projects include six in the GRDA resource development category and one in the planning category. Funding of the recommended awards will increase the amount of generation from geothermal sources. (GRDA funding.) Contact: John Hingtgen. (10 minutes)
Approval of the May 7, 2008, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item. If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media & Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [email@example.com] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov