California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, July 16, 2008
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
PLEASE NOTE: If you are planning to attend this meeting, please be aware that there may be traffic congestion and delays due to repair work on Interstate 5 in the downtown Sacramento area. Information on road closures and alternate routes is available at the Fix I-5 website at www.fixi5.com, or call 5-1-1 to receive information in English and Spanish.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTERAGENCY NETWORK (CEEIN). Possible approval of $1,000 to CEEIN for FY 2008-09 to support state educational activities. CEEIN is a state government consortium of environmental educators representing departments, boards and commissions of the Resources Agency; Department of Food and Agriculture, California Environmental Protection Agency; Department of Education, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the Sierra Club, to address statewide environmental education efforts. Contact: Chris Graillat.
- CITY OF RIVERSIDE. Possible approval of the Executive Director's recommendation that the City of Riverside's contract with Shoshone Renaissance, LLC be found compliant with the Emission Performance Standard for Local Publicly Owned Electric Utilities (California Code of Regulations, Title 20, Chapter 11, Article 1, Sections 2900-2913). Contact: David Vidaver.
- VICTORVILLE II HYBRID POWER PROJECT (07-AFC-1). Possible adoption of the Presiding Member's Proposed Decision and Errata for the Victorville II Hybrid Power Project. Contact: John Kessler. (5 minutes)
- CALISTOGA POWER PLANT NO. 1 (81-AFC-1C). Possible approval of an amendment to the Commission Decision for the Calistoga Power Plant (formerly known as the Occidental (OXY) Geothermal Power Plant No. 1) to change Condition of Certification Biological Resources 5-4, regarding boron drift monitoring to allow the Compliance Project Manager the discretion to confirm, in writing, that further boron drift testing is not required. Contact: Donna Stone. (5 minutes)
- ORANGE GROVE POWER PLANT PROJECT (08-AFC-4). Contact: Felicia Miller. (5 minutes)
- Possible approval of the Executive Director's data adequacy recommendation for the Orange Grove Energy's Application for Certification for the Orange Grove Power Plant Project.
- Possible appointment of a siting committee for the Orange Grove project.
- MARSH LANDING GENERATING STATION (08-AFC-3). Contact: Mike Monasmith. (5 minutes)
- Possible approval of the Executive Director's data adequacy recommendation for Mirant Marsh Landing, LLC's Application for Certification for the Marsh Landing Generating Station.
- Possible appointment of a siting committee for the Marsh Landing project.
- SYNAPSE ENERGY ECONOMICS, INC. Possible approval of Work Authorization MR-026 under Contract 500-02-004, not to exceed $350,000, to to develop a credible method to quantify the air quality benefits from measures that reduce energy use in California. The project will develop a framework for California air districts to quantify and validate emission reductions from specific energy and peak demand reduction, renewable energy and other energy savings measures for State Implementation Plan credit. (PIER funding.) Contact: Marla Mueller. (5 minutes)
Approval of the July 2, 2008, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
Discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters. [Government Code, Section 11126(a)].
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media and Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov