California Energy Commission
WEDNESDAY, November 5, 2008
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: Audio from this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
Please see information at: www.energy.ca.gov/webcast/
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A Commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- 2009 BUSINESS MEETING SCHEDULE. Possible approval of the Energy Commission's 2009 Business Meeting Schedule. Contact: Harriet Kallemeyn.
- ASPEN ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP. Possible approval of Amendment 2 to Contract 700-05-002 with Aspen Environmental Group for a no-cost time extension of one year and changes to the scope of work, including assistance in: (1) developing a Natural Communities Conservation Plan for selected areas in California; (2) identifying sites for renewable power plant development in the state; (3) developing a Solar Power Plant Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement; and (4) developing Best Management Practices to facilitate the development of renewable resources while minimizing environmental impacts. Contact: Joseph Merrill.
- RAND CORPORATION. Possible approval of Amendment 1 to Contract 400-07-022 with Rand Corporation for a no-cost time extension. The project seeks to demonstrate computer-assisted techniques that can more completely evaluate the effects of uncertainties on policy outcomes which may then lead to more robust and adaptive combinations of policies and to better cross-functional collaboration and communication. Contact: Ross Miller.
- SACRAMENTO MUNICIPAL UTILITY DISTRICT. Possible approval of the Executive Director's recommendation that Sacramento Utility District's contract with Iberdrola Renewables, Inc. (formerly PPM, Inc.) be found compliant with the Emission Performance Standard for Local Publicly-Owned Electric Utilities (California Code of Regulations, Title 20, Sections 2900-2913). Contact: Marc Pryor.
- CITY OF SANTA ROSA: Possible approval of a $776,000 loan to the City of Santa Rosa, located in Sonoma County, to implement energy efficiency projects at the City's Meadowlane and Rohnert Park Pumping Stations. These efficiency projects include modifying pump stations, installing variable speed pumps and improving controls and instrumentation. These projects will save an estimated 973,000 kWh annually or $107,800 with a simple payback period of 7.2 years. In addition, these projects will reduce approximately 396 tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually. (ECAA and/or bond funded). Contact: Shahid Chaudhry. (5 minutes)
- CITY OF PALO ALTO. Possible approval of City of Palo Alto Locally Adopted Energy Standards for residential and nonresidential newly constructed buildings requiring greater energy efficiency than the 2005 Building Energy Efficiency Standards. The proposed ordinance would become effective November 15, 2008. Contact: Devorah Eden. (5 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA UTILITY ALLOWANCE CALCULATOR. Possible approval of the California Utility Allowance Calculator (CUAC). The CUAC, developed by the Energy Commission, is designed to create project-specific utility allowance estimates for affordable multifamily housing projects. If approved by the Energy Commission, the CUAC will be the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee's approved method of calculating tax credits for qualified low-income housing projects. Contact: Sandy Miller. (10 minutes)
- LOOMIS UNION UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT. Possible approval of a $651,370 loan to the Loomis Union Unified School District to install several energy efficiency projects, including lighting, equipment controls, and heating, ventilation, & air conditioning (HVAC) upgrades/replacements. These projects will affect several school district facilities and will save the district approximately 398,813 kWh and 3,593 gallons of propane (359.3 MBtu) or about $65,137 per year. Based on the loan amount, the simple payback is approximately 10 years. (LJAC and/or ECAA funded). Contact Jane Heinz (5 minutes)
- GILBERT ASSOCIATES, INC. Possible approval of Contract 400-08-002 for $132,100 with Gilbert Associates, Inc. to provide independent accounting and compliance auditing services for the Energy Efficiency Master Trust Revenue Bond Program. (Bond Admin. funding.) Contact: Jane Heinz. (5 minutes)
- UC DAVIS CENTER FOR WATERSHED SCIENCES. Possible approval of Interagency Agreement 500-08-018 for $285,650 with the Regents of the University of California, Davis, Center for Watershed Sciences for research on amphibian and related species that are affected by hydropower operations. This research is to provide data that will inform the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission hydropower relicensing process. Contact: Joe O'Hagan. (10 minutes)
Approval of the October 22, 2008, Business Meeting Minutes.
- Commission Committee Presentations/Discussion
A discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report
The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel to determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation [Government Code Section 11126(e)(3)] or whether facts and circumstances exist that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission [Government Code Section 11126(e)(2)].
- Executive Director's Report
Closed session may be held on personnel matters.
[Authority: Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Legislative Director's Report
- Public Adviser's Report
- Public Comment
People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item. If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media & Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked, please answer "Business Meeting and Mr. Jerome Lee" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you want to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting.
The Business Meeting is broadcast by Internet at:
The Energy Commission now has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe via e-mail, please go to our Web site [www.energy.ca.gov/listservers].Those subscribing to the e-mail may wish to discontinue receiving agendas by U.S. Mail. To remove your name from the mailing list, send the mailing label on the envelope to: California Energy Commission, 1516 9th St., MS 38, Sacramento, CA, 95814 and ask that your name be deleted or e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org] and request that your name be removed from List 15. Please include the number located on the upper left corner of the mailing label.
Energy Commission Web site: www.energy.ca.gov