California Energy Commission
Monday, November 8, 2010
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room A, First Floor
Beginning at 10 a.m.
Note: this meeting will be broadcast over the Internet.
See broadcast information.
THE COMMISSION WILL CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (Items on the Consent Calendar will be taken up and voted on as a group. A commissioner may request that an item be moved and discussed later in the meeting.)
- 2010 BEHAVIOR, ENERGY AND CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE. Possible approval of $4,950 to co-sponsor the 2010 Behavior, Energy and Climate Change Conference with the California Institute for Energy and Environment. The conference focuses on achieving solutions for long-term energy and greenhouse gas emission reduction targets by improving the design, adoption, and continued effectiveness of policies, programs, technologies, and individual/organizational actions. (PIER electricity funding.) Contact: Virginia Lew.
- ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION SURCHARGE RATE. Possible approval of an adjustment to the Electricity Consumption Surcharge Rate for calendar year 2011 from the current rate of twenty-two hundredths mil ($.00022) to twenty-nine hundredths mil ($.00029). Chapter 1124, Statutes or 2002, authorizes the Energy Commission to fix the electricity consumption surcharge rate at a public meeting each November for the calendar year starting the following January. Contact: Mark Hutchison. (10 minutes)
The Commission will consider ratifying the actions taken on October 21, 2010, on the following items. These items were originally noticed for the October 20, 2010 meeting as Items 17, 18, and 19, and were continued to October 21, 2010
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT COMMISSION. Possible approval of Contract 400-10-004 for $33,176,912 with Local Government Commission to support Energy Upgrade California, the state-wide energy and water efficiency and renewable energy generation retrofit program for single- and multi-family residential and commercial buildings. (ARRA funding.) Contact: Panama Bartholomy. (20 minutes)
- DEPARTMENT OF GENERAL SERVICES. Possible approval of Contract 400-10-005 for $33,176,912 with Department of General Services for administration of the Energy Efficient State Property Revolving Loan Program. (ARRA funding.) Contact: Panama Bartholomy. (10 minutes)
- CALIFORNIA STATE TREASURER. Possible approval of Contract 400-10-006 for $164,760 with the California State Treasurer for administration of the Energy Upgrade California financial clearinghouse. (ARRA funding.) Contact: Panama Bartholomy. (10 minutes)
- Commission Committee Presentations and Discussion: Presentations or discussion by the Commissioners regarding Committee Oversight matters may be held.
- Chief Counsel's Report: The Energy Commission may adjourn to closed session with its legal counsel [Government Code Section 11126(e)] to discuss any of the following matters to which the Energy Commission is a party:
- California Communities Against Toxics et al v. South Coast Air Quality Management District (Los Angeles County Superior Court, BS124624);
- Western Riverside Council of Governments v. Department of General Services (Riverside County Superior Court RIC10005849);
- In the Matter of U.S. Department of Energy (High Level Waste Repository),(Atomic Safety Licensing Board, CAB-04, 63-001-HLW);
- Public Utilities Commission of California (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Docket No. EL10-64-000); and Southern California Edison Company, et al. (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Docket No. EL10 66 000).
The Energy Commission may also discuss any judicial or administrative proceeding that was formally initiated after this agenda was published; or determine whether facts and circumstances exist that warrant the initiation of litigation; or that constitute a significant exposure to litigation against the Commission.
- Executive Director's Report: A closed session may be held on personnel matters. [Government Code, Section 11126(a).]
- Public Adviser's Report: The Public Adviser may report on upcoming events.
- Public Comment: Public Comment: People may speak up to five minutes on any matter concerning the Energy Commission, with the exception of items appearing elsewhere on this agenda or items related to pending adjudicative (certification or enforcement) proceedings.
- Internal Organization and Policy. The Commission may recess the meeting and continue it later for purposes of a general discussion of Commission internal organization and policy. No action will be taken at such a continued session. The Commission will announce whether it plans to continue the meeting in this manner and the time and location at the end of the last regular item.
If you require special accommodations, contact Lourdes Quiroz at 916-654-5146, five days before the meeting.
News media inquiries should be directed to:
Media and Public Communications - 916-654-4989
Questions about participation in the Business Meeting should be directed to:
Public Adviser's Office - 916-654-4489 or 800-822-6228.
Participating by Telephone at a Business Meeting
If you want to participate by telephone, call toll free 1-888-823-5065 on Business Meeting days after 10:01 a.m. (PDT). When asked for your pass code and call leader's name, please answer "Business Meeting and Harriet K" and the operator will connect you into the meeting. Should you wish to speak on a specific item, please inform the operator and provide the item number.
Please note that while the Energy Commission affords members of the public the opportunity to participate by telephone, the Commission strongly encourages public comments to be made in person because there are occasional technical problems with the Commission's telephone link. The Commission will make every effort to avoid these problems; however, it is the responsibility of the person wishing to make a comment to ensure that such comment is received by the Commission. If you intend to make comments by phone, the Commission recommends that a written comment also be submitted either by facsimile or e-mail to the Public Adviser by 5 p.m. two days before the scheduled business meeting. Fax (916) 654-4493 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Business Meeting is broadcast via WebEx, the Energy Commission's on-line meeting service. To listen to the meeting and view any presentations, please click the following link or paste it into your browser:
You may also go to https://energy.webex.com/ec and enter Meeting Number 920 915 203. The meeting password is mtg@10am.
The Energy Commission building has wireless Internet access available in the atrium, coffee shop, and library.
Subscribe to Electronic Mail Lists
To reduce paper and mailing costs, the Energy Commission offers an automated e-mail system for the business meeting agendas. To subscribe, please go to our Business Meetings page www.energy.ca.gov/business_meetings/ and use the form in the left column.
Buy, Recycle, and Save with a new high energy efficient appliance through the California Cash for Appliances rebate program.
The Cash for Appliances PLUS rebate program now includes high energy efficient dishwashers, freezers, water heaters, and heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Apply today at: www.Cash4Appliances.org