This event has passed. The event information on this page is for historical purposes only and links may no longer work.
This conference will address microgrid drivers and initiatives at the national, state, and utility levels; regulatory and policy initiatives that encourage microgrid development; financing opportunities and challenges, and technical aspects. Further, we will introduce the concept of the "Smart Community" and address what the role of a microgrid is within this concept. Case studies, presentations, and panel discussions all will be implemented in communicating this information.
Given the proliferation of Distributed Energy Resources (DER), market viability of renewable energy, and a need to increase local electricity reliability and ensure outage resilience, microgrids have emerged as an appropriate solution for incorporating customer-side generation, and an enabler for islanding of local electricity delivery resources.
September 29-30, 2014
Freemont Marriott Silicon Valley
46100 Landing Parkway
Fremont, CA, 94538
California Public Utilities Commission
California Energy Commission
New York Independent System Operator
San Diego Gas & Electric
University of California, Irvine
Clean Coalition's Community Microgrid Initiative
Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp.
Rocky Mountain Institute
Sail Capital Partners
Schneider Electric Engineering Services
Siemens Venture Capital
Smart Communities, Microgrids and Related Case Studies
- Utility Owned and Operated Microgrids
-- This case study will discuss the particulars of microgrids, how the system has operated and what the future holds in store for the evolution of this microgrid.
- Smart Community Implementation in Ontario, Canada
-- With the implementation of an integrated microgrid demonstration project at its head office in Vaughan, Ontario, PowerStream is one of the first utilities of its size in Canada to initiate a proof-of-concept trial, evaluating the microgrid's performance while it is connected to, and also disconnected from, the existing electricity distribution system.
- Smart Grid + Community Microgrid = Smart Community
-- Case study: The Hunters Point Project in San Francisco, in partnership with PG&E
- The Far Reach of Microgrids: Benefits Beyond Electricity
- Philadelphia Navy Yard - Development of an Innovative City within the City of Philadelphia
Regulatory and Policy Initiatives - National and State Microgrid Initiatives, Drivers, and Potential
- Policies and Regulations Enabling Microgrids in California.
- The New York Overview.
- Microgrids as Part of the Industry Trend Toward Decentralization.
- Rate Structure Evolution and Microgrids.
Microgrid Assets & Financing
- Renewables - Concentrated Investing and Finance.
- Cleantech and Microgrids.
- Solar Power and Its Unique Role in Microgrids.
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells and Microgrids.
Technology and Integration
- CEC-Directed Microgrid R&D Projects and their Implications.
- Technical and Interconnection Challenges and Needs for Overcoming Them.
- Technical Approaches and Case Studies.
- Community Microgrid Energy Management System.
- California Development of Dispatchable Aggregated Portfolio of Preferred Resources (DAPPR) Utilizing Evaporative Cooling Systems for Commercial HVAC Systems.
- Applied Research and the Need for Knowledge-Sharing.
Registration & Additional Information: