Robert B. Weisenmiller, Ph.D.
Appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger 1/2010 to 1/2011
Appointed by Governor Brown 1/2011 to 2015
Appointed Chair February 2011
Chair Robert Weisenmiller was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown in January 2011 and appointed Chair in February. He fills the Engineer/Scientist position on the five-member Commission where four of the five members by law are required to have professional training in specific areas - engineering or physical science, environmental protection, economics, and law. Commissioner Weisenmiller brings more than 30 years energy experience to the Commission including expertise in electricity and gas markets and California regulatory policies. Chair Weisenmiller has served as an expert witness in more than 100 state and federal regulatory commission proceedings and has authored numerous publications on electricity and natural gas markets. Chair Weisenmiller is the lead commissioner on the Energy Commission's budget and management, legislative and intergovernmental matters, research, development and demonstration, climate change, and electricity markets.
Before his appointment, Chair Weisenmiller, a co-founder of MRW & Associates, used his expertise to assist businesses, financial institution, regulatory commissions, and public agencies in strategic planning, policy development, analyzing energy markets and regulations, power pricing for qualifying facility projects, marginal cost analysis, rate design and implications of utility mergers. Commissioner Weisenmiller was also the co-founder and Executive Vice President of Independent Power Corporation.
Chair Weisenmiller's career also included previous period of public service with the Energy Commission as Advisor to Commissioner, Manager of the Special Projects Office, and Director of the Office of Policy and Program Evaluation in the period between 1977 and 1982.
Chair Weisenmiller holds a Doctorate in Chemistry and a Masters in Energy and Resources from University of California Berkeley and received his Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Providence College.
Address to reach Chair Weisenmiller:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-33
Sacramento, CA 95814
E-mail Chair Weisenmiller through his Executive Assistant, Catherine Cross at Catherine.Cross@energy.ca.gov
Meeting Request Form (Fillable PDF form: Please complete, save and attach to e-mail.)
- Chair Weisenmiller's Résumé (PDF file)
- Chair Weisenmiller's Photo Page
- Chair Weisenmiller's Confirmation Hearing Opening Statement,
Senate Rules Committee Meeting, February 2, 2011 (PDF file)
- Energy Commission Presentations by Chair Weisenmiller
- List of Presentations Made by Chair Weisenmiller (PDF file)
- List of Publications on Energy Subjects by Chair Weisenmiller (PDF file)
- List of Publications on Nuclear Science by Chair Weisenmiller (PDF file)
- Testimony Given by Chair Weisenmiller (PDF file)
- News Stories Quoting Chair Weisenmiller
- E&ETV VIDEO: Chair Weisenmiller discusses impact of EPA power plant regs on his state
- Cutting Foreign Oil, Saving Lives and Other Benefits of California’s Microgrid Projects - Chair Weisenmiller:
- Radio interview with Go Green Radio - Chair Weisenmiller and scientist Dr. Susanne Moser discuss the challenges and opportunities of adapting to climate change in California: