Benefits of DER
DER can provide many benefits, including:
- More reliable power, especially for those in areas where outages are common.
- The variety of DER equipment allows customers to choose the best solution for an individual location.
- Some DER equipment is able to provide high-quality, premium power for sensitive applications.
- DER equipment efficiency improvements are achieved when used in combination with combined heat and power equipment for heating, cooling, and dehumidification applications.
- Cost savings can be realized by reducing the peak demand at a facility, therefore lowering demand charges.
- DER equipment can provide power to remote applications where traditional transmission and distribution lines are not an option. Locations such as cellular towers, small remote towns or drilling platforms in the ocean are outside the electric grid and benefit from DER as a primary power source.
- Environmental benefits of DER solutions include a reduction in emissions for some technologies (e.g., solar, wind, fuel cells).