The application process for interconnection of DER devices to the electric grid involves a number of standardized steps:
- Applicant Initiates Contact with the Electrical Corporation - Upon initial request, the utility will provide all relevant applications forms, documents, and technical requirements for grid interconnection of DER. The utility will establish an individual representative as the single point of contact for the applicant.
- Applicant Completes an Application Document - The applicant completes and files a standardized Application for the interconnection of a DER device. The utility will acknowledge the receipt of the Application and verify that it has been adequately completed.
- Electrical Corporation Performs an Initial Review and Develops Preliminary Cost Estimates and Interconnection Requirements - The utility will perform an Initial Review to determine the type of interconnection for which the applicant qualifies.
- Simplified Interconnection - If the applicant qualifies for Simplified Interconnection, the utility will provide the applicant with a written description of the interconnection requirements, in addition to a draft Interconnection Agreement.
- Interconnection Subject to Additional Requirements - The Initial Review will require a Supplemental Review if the applicant does not qualify for Simplified Interconnection. The Supplemental Review provides either:
- Interconnection requirements that may include additional requirements beyond Simplified Interconnection and a draft Interconnection Agreement.
- A cost estimate and schedule for an Interconnection Study. In this case, the applicant and utility shall enter into an Interconnection Study Agreement. After completion of an Interconnection Study, the utility will provide the applicant with specific requirements, costs, and a schedule for the interconnection of the DER device.
- Applicant and Electrical Corporation Enter Into a Generation Interconnection Agreement - The utility provides the applicant with an executable version of the Interconnection Agreement, Net Energy Metering Agreement, or Power Purchase Agreement (whichever is appropriate for the applicant's DER device and its mode of operation).
- Applicant Installs or Constructs the Generating Facility to Interconnect with the Electric Grid - The applicant interconnects the DER device in accordance with the provisions of the Interconnection Agreement, Net Energy Metering Agreement, or Power Purchase Agreement.
- Applicant Arranges for and Completes Testing of the DER Device - Before operating in parallel with the electric grid, the DER device and associated interconnection equipment must be tested to ensure compliance with the safety and reliability provisions of the CPUC-approved rules and regulations.
- Electrical Corporation Authorizes Interconnection - The applicant's DER device may commence parallel operation with the utility's electric grid.
The flow chart below outlines the initial review process for applications to interconnect DER devices.