California's Energy Policy
The Warren-Alquist Act (Division 15 of the Public Resources Code) is the legislation that created and gives statutory authority to the California Energy Commission. The Act designates the Energy Commission as the state's primary agency for energy policy and planning.
Senate Bill 1389 (Bowen and Sher, Chapter 568, Statutes of 2002) requires that the Commission adopt and transmit to the Governor and Legislature a report of findings every two years. That report is called the Integrated Energy Policy Report or IEPR (pronounced eye'-per).
The IEPR Committee, listed above, provides oversight and policy direction related to collecting and analyzing data needed to complete the Integrated Energy Policy Report on trends and issues concerning electricity and natural gas, transportation, energy efficiency, renewables, and public interest energy research.
Current IEPR Proceedings
- 2017 Energy Policy Report (Docket # 17-IEPR-01)
- 2016 Energy Policy Report Update (Docket # 16-IEPR-01)
- 2015 Integrated Energy Policy Report (Docket # 15-IEP-01 - 13)
- 2014 Integrated Energy Policy Report Update (Docket # 14-IEP-1)
- 2013 Integrated Energy Policy Report (Docket # 13-IEP-1)
Transmission Investment Plans
Senate Bill 1565 (Bowen, Chapter 692, Statutes of 2004) requires that the Commission adopt a strategic plan for the state's electric transmission grid. This Strategic Transmission Investment Plan is to be included in the biennial IEPR. Additional information about the Commission's transmission activities can be found on the main transmission page.
Past Transmission Plans
- 2009 Strategic Transmission Investment Plan - Final Commission Report, publication # CEC-700-2009-011-CMF. (PDF file, 193 pgs., 1.7 MB)
- 2007 Strategic Transmission Investment Plan - Final Commission Report, publication # CEC-700-2007-018-CMF. (PDF file, 184 pgs., 1.4 MB)
- 2005 Strategic Transmission Investment Plan - Final Commission Report, publication # CEC-100-2005-006-CMF. (PDF file, 117 pgs., 1.6 MB)
For more information contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-45
Sacramento, CA 95814
Members of the news media, please contact:
Media & Public Communications Office at 916-654-4989.