STATE OF CALIFORNIA
ENERGY RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT AND
Participation in Western Renewable Energy
Generation Information System Implementation
This notice seeks to inform stakeholders about ways to participate and monitor the implementation of a regional renewable energy tracking system, referred to as the Western Renewable Energy Generation Information System (WREGIS). This notice also shows how stakeholders may comment on draft documents associated with WREGIS
The California Legislature has directed the Energy Commission to develop a tracking system for implementing California's Renewables Portfolio Standard. On October 8, 2003, the Energy Commission adopted the Renewables Portfolio Standard: Decision on Phase 2 Implementation Issues (publication number 500-03-049F), which recommends that the Energy Commission staff work with the Western Governors' Association to develop a regional certificates-based renewable energy tracking system (WREGIS).
On January 12 and 13, 2004, the WGA and Energy Commission staff held a kick-off meeting to begin to implement WREGIS. As part of this effort, several committees are being established to work on specific issues related to the design and implementation of WREGIS.
Yahoo Groups' list servers have been established to facilitate communication among members of the committees and provide a means for interested stakeholders to monitor and comment on committee work products. The Yahoo Groups website for each of the committees will maintain a complete set of working documents, an archive of all messages, a calendar of meetings and events, and an area for posting links and other background documents.
If you have previously signed up for a committee, your name has been added to the Yahoo Groups list server for that committee. You will receive an e-mail confirming your participation in the committee list server. Please note that some e-mail spam filters may block e-mail from Yahoo Groups. If you did not receive an e-mail confirming your status on the committee list server or are uncertain about your status, please follow the link or send a blank e-mail to the appropriate address below, and we will confirm your status.
The following four lists are open for anyone to access or join. You may sign up for any or all of the list servers.
- WREGIS-WG - Working Group
- The Yahoo Groups' list server functions as the primary method of communication to all stakeholders involved in the development of WREGIS. It is being used to distribute the various reports and documents being produced by committees. If you have an interest in monitoring the development of WREGIS or commenting on documents and recommendations, you should sign up for this list server at:
- Join the list server by going to the following URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-WG/ join or send an e-mail to WREGIS-WGemail@example.com
- WREGIS-IC - Institutional Committee
- The Institutional Committee is responsible for providing recommendations on the institutional structure, legal requirements, and governance policies necessary to create an institution to support and maintain the on-going operations of WREGIS. This Committee will deliberate on a list of institutional questions and make recommendations back to the larger WREGIS Working Group by April 2004.
- Access the list server at:
- Join the list server by going to the following URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-IC/join or send an e-mail to WREGIS-ICfirstname.lastname@example.org
- WREGIS-ORC - Operational Rules Committee
- The Operational Rules Committee is responsible for drafting specific technical recommendations regarding WREGIS operational issues. This Committee is responsible for drafting the Interim and Final Operating Rules for WREGIS and refining the scope of work needed to develop a solicitation for a contractor to develop the software to run WREGIS. Once a solicitation document is issued and a contractor is selected, the Operational Rules Committee will continue to work on refining operational recommendations in cooperation with the software contractor. The Operational Rules Committee will meet throughout the development of the Final Operating Rules. The Operational Rules Committee meets weekly via conference calls to develop recommendations. The topics to be covered each week are noticed via the list server. Anyone interested in a particular topic may join the conference call and provide input.
- Access the list server by going to the following URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-ORC/
- Join the list server by going to the following URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-ORC/join or send an e-mail to WREGIS-ORCemail@example.com
- WREGIS-DISC - Data Interface Sub-Committee
- The Data Interface Sub-Committee is responsible for identifying how renewable generation data will be collected, verified, and included in WREGIS from different sources in the WECC. The Committee is also tasked to determine the level of accuracy of generation data, the standard of uniformity of generation data, and the protocols for accessing the data for inclusion in WREGIS. The Data Interface Sub-Committee meets via conference calls to develop recommendations. The topics to be covered in each conference call are noticed via the list server. Anyone interested in a particular topic may join the conference call and provide input.
- Access the list server at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-DISC/
- Join the list server by going to the following URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WREGIS-DISC/join or send an e-mail to WREGIS-DISCfirstname.lastname@example.org
The Energy Commission's Public Adviser, Margret J. Kim, provides public assistance in participating in Energy Commission activities. Members of the public who would like information on how to participate may contact the Public Adviser's Office by phone at (916) 654-4489 or toll free at (800) 822-6228, FAX at (916) 654-4493, or e-mail at email@example.com. Members of the public who have technical questions regarding this notice may contact Rasa Keanini by phone at (916) 654-5379 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . News media should direct inquiries to Claudia Chandler, Assistant Director, at (916) 654-4989 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Date On Line: February 11, 2004