Notice of Availability of Report
Publicly Owned Electric Utilities and the
California Renewable Portfolio Standards: A Summary of Data Collection Activities
(Publication No. CEC-300-2005-023)
Docket No. 04-IEP-1E and 03-RPS-1078
This consultant report (Energy Commission Publication No. CEC-300-2005-023) provides information on the publicly owned utilities (POU) implementation of the Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS). This report provides information that will inform the discussion to help identify key barriers and policy options for POUs to participate in meeting the 20 percent by 2010 RPS target and the longer-term 33 percent by 2020 target.
The consultant report is structured as follows:
- Chapter 1 provides the policy background for the POUs participation in California's RPS.
- Chapter 2 describes the varied treatment of POUs' in other state RPS programs, contrasting that treatment with the approach used in California.
- Chapter 3 summarizes California POU renewable energy targets, timelines, and eligibility rules, updating (where possible) a tabular summary previously created by the Energy Commission, and comparing POU targets with those of the state's three major IOUs.
- Chapter 4 highlights the status of POU renewable energy procurement to date, based on available information, and (where possible) compares recent POU renewable procurements with those of the state's IOUs. Chapter 4 also summarizes some of the barriers to POU RPS policies.
- Chapter 5 we propose future research that might help to identify key barriers to and policy options for POUs in joining a statewide effort to reach the current 20 percent renewable energy goal and the longer-term 33 percent target.
The report was prepared by Kema, Inc., and its consulting team, as the result of work sponsored by the California Energy Commission. It does not necessarily represent the view of the California Energy Commission, its employees or the State of California. The California Energy Commission, the State of California, its employees, contractors and subcontractors make no warranty, express or implied, and assume no legal liability for the information in this report; nor does any party represent that the uses of this information will not infringe upon privately owned rights. This report has not been approved or disapproved by the California Energy Commission nor has the California Energy Commission passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of the information in this report.
This document is available free from the Energy Commission's website at:
A printed copy is available for $5.00. Please send request and check or money order made out to the California Energy Commission to:
California Energy Commission
Re: Publicly Owned Electric Utilities and the California RPS:
A Summary of Data Collection Activities, CEC-300-2005-023
1516 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-5504
Please call Publications Unit at (916) 654-5200 with any questions.
News media should direct inquiries to Claudia Chandler, Assistant Executive Director, at (916) 654-4989.
For technical questions regarding the subject matter of this consultant report, please contact Heather Raitt by phone at (916) 654-4735, or by e-mail at [email@example.com].
Mailing List: 5507 Renewables Portfolio Standard