Notice of Staff Workshop
The PIER Buildings Energy Efficiency Program
Contract Opportunity Notice
The staff of the California Energy Commission invites interested parties to attend a workshop regarding the Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Buildings upcoming targeted solicitation. A public workshop will be held on the following:
Thursday, September 26, 2002
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street
Hearing Room B
The California Energy Commission's PIER Buildings Team has recently co-sponsored a national planning effort to identify research and development (R&D) needs in the area of indoor environmental quality (IEQ). This plan is available to download as an Adobe Acrobat PDF file on the Commission's website at:
Download Acrobat PDF file
(93 pages, 906 kilobytes)
A public workshop has been organized to present a summary of this national IEQ R&D plan. This workshop is associated with a Contract Opportunity Notice that announces an upcoming targeted, programmatic solicitation for the Buildings area of the PIER Program. The PIER Buildings Team anticipates focussing this solicitation on specific areas within the national IEQ R&D plan; these "targets" will be presented and discussed at this workshop.
The current research targets identified by the PIER Buildings Team in the area of energy-related IEQ are as follows:
- Identify pollutants and quantify emission rates from different types of office equipment and building materials
- Explore new system design concepts for heating, air conditioning and ventilating buildings
- Develop convenient and cost-effective air quality monitoring devices and systems
- Collect health and productivity data for different building occupancies and corresponding ventilation rates (including time-varying & climate dependent ventilation control strategies), to develop recommendations for minimum ventilation rates
- Develop guidelines on best practices for building design and operation to reduce health impacts of IEQ
- Develop educational programs designed specifically for key decision makers of building design and operation
Purpose of the Workshop
One purpose of this workshop is to share the results of a recent national planning effort for energy-related indoor environmental quality. Another purpose for this workshop is to present and discuss the specific areas within this plan that will be the subject of the PIER Buildings Program's next solicitation, and to encourage public input on building energy research needs in the area of IEQ.
To facilitate the gathering and sharing of public input, The Commission invites interested parties to submit information relating to this workshop. All interested parties are invited to send electronic mail to email@example.com for the following purposes:
- Indicate intent to attend the workshop
- Provide a short summary of your thoughts on energy-related IEQ research needs
- Indicate your desire to provide a 5-minute presentation of your summary at the workshop followed by a 5-minute discussion period with workshop attendees
Please include your contact information as well as the general subject of your presentation in the electronic message.
Members of the public who wish information on how to participate in this proceeding may place themselves on the list server or call Roberta Mendonca, the Commission's Public Adviser, at (916) 654-4489, toll free at (800) 822-6228 or by e-mail at PAO@energy.state.ca.us. Voice mail messages will be returned within 24 hours during regular working hours. The Public Adviser provides assistance to the public regarding Commission procedures and participation in Commission activities. If you require special accommodation, please contact Lou Quiroz at (916) 654-5146 at least five days prior to the meeting.
02-? (PIER Workshop)
Date of Mailing: August 26, 2002Mailed to List: ??
| Back to Main Page | Homepage | Calendar | Directory/Index | Search | Contact Us |