NOTICE OF INSIGNIFICANT PROJECT CHANGE
PETITION TO MODIFY THE BLYTHE ENERGY PROJECT'S
The California Energy Commission (Energy Commission) received a petition dated April 13, 2007, from Blythe Energy, LLC (BE, LLC) titled Minor Route Realignment and Relocated Connection for the Blythe Energy Power Plant Project. The 520-megawatt natural gas-fired combined cycle project was certified on March 21, 2001, and began commercial operation on December 29, 2003. On October 11, 2006, the Energy Commission approved an amendment to the project for a new transmission line (the Blythe T-line). This request for an insignificant project change would be a minor modification to the approved T-line route.
The Blythe Energy Project is located in the City of Blythe, Riverside County, California.
DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSED MODIFICATIONS
The proposed changes:
- Change the transmission line (T-line) interconnection from Buck Boulevard Substation to a new switchyard located on the project site.
- Make minor modifications of the T-line route to an alternate route realignment from milepost 0.0 to 3.0. The point of origin of this three-mile section would be moved from the west side of the project boundary to the eastern boundary (about 1000 feet) within a previously surveyed corridor. The Federal Aviation Administration approved the change in a letter dated June 4, 2007.
- Make minor adjustments to pole locations from milepost 6.5 to 62.1 of no more than 35 feet within the surveyed corridor.
- There is no possibility that the modifications may have a significant effect on the environment, and
- The modifications will not result in a change to or deletion of a condition of certification, or make changes that would cause the project not to comply with applicable laws, ordinances, regulations, or standards (LORS).
ENERGY COMMISSION STAFF REVIEW AND DETERMINATIONPursuant to section 1769(a)(2), Title 20, California Code of Regulations, Energy Commission approval of the project modifications is not required if Energy Commission staff determines that:
Energy Commission staff have evaluated the insignificant project change petition and have determined that the proposed modifications meet this criteria because:
- The modifications will not have any significant effect on the environment because the changes to the T-line interconnection point, the T-line route, and the minor transmission pole relocations are within corridors that were surveyed for potential environmental impacts and approved with appropriate conditions of certification during the original T-line approval proceedings.
- Existing conditions of certification are sufficient to cover the proposed modifications without changes to, or deletions of, any conditions of certification; and
- The project as modified will maintain full compliance with applicable LORS.
Any person may file a written objection to staff's determination within 14 days of service of this notice on the grounds that the project modifications do not meet the criteria set forth in Section 1769(a)(2). All objections must be in writing and must be sent either by U.S. mail, e-mail, or other document delivery service to Steve Munro, Compliance Project Manager, at the address shown below:
California Energy Commission
1516 9th Street, MS 2000
Sacramento, CA 95814
Comments my be submitted by fax to (916) 654-3882, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If no substantive objection is received in writing by 5:00 p.m. on July 13, 2007, the requested project modifications will be deemed approved, and a description of the changes will be placed in the project file.
If you have questions about this notice, please contact Steve Munro at (916) 654-3936, or by fax or e-mail in accord with the instructions cited above.
Date: June 29, 2007.
Mail List # 747