NOTICE OF INSIGNIFICANT PROJECT CHANGE
TO REROUTE THE SEWER LINE
FOR THE GATEWAY GENERATING STATION
On February 5, 2008, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) filed a petition with the California Energy Commission requesting to modify the Gateway Generating Station (GGS) (formerly known as the Gateway Power Plant Unit 8). The 530-megawatt project was certified by the Energy Commission on May 30, 2001. Construction of the facility started late in 2001 and was suspended in February of 2002, due to financial difficulties of the owner Mirant Delta, LLC. On July 19, 2006, the Energy Commission approved the addition of PG&E as co-owner of the project with Mirant Delta, LLC.. On January 3, 2007, the Energy Commission approved PG&E's petition to remove Mirant Delta, LLC. as a co-owner and change the name of the facility to the Gateway Generating Station. PG&E restarted construction in February of 2007. The facility is located on Wilbur Avenue, east of the city of Antioch, in Gateway County.
DESCRIPTION OF PROPOSED MODIFICATION
The proposed modification (requested by the city of Antioch), would revise the route of the sanitary sewer line. The approved sewer line route exits the GGS property and follows Wilbur Avenue east for approximately 2000 feet. From this point the route would be modified to enter the north side of the property of the Delta Diablo Sanitation District (DDSD), instead of continuing down Wilbur Avenue to be placed along Bridgehead Road before entering the southern boundary of the DDSD property. The request is available on the Energy Commission's website at http://www.energy.ca.gov/sitingcases/gateway/compliance/index.html.
ENERGY COMMISSION STAFF REVIEW AND DETERMINATIONPursuant to section 1769(a)(2), Title 20, California Code of Regulations, Energy Commission approval of the project modification is not required if Energy Commission staff determines that:
- There is no possibility that the modification may have a significant effect on the environment, and
- The modification will not result in a change to or deletion of a condition of certification, or make changes that would cause the project not to comply with applicable laws, ordinances, regulations, or standards (LORS).
Energy Commission staff has determined that the proposed modification meets these criteria because:
- The modification will not have the possibility of any significant effect on the environment.
- Existing conditions of certification are sufficient to cover the proposed modification without changes to, or deletions of, any conditions of certification; and
- The project as modified will maintain full compliance with applicable LORS.
- The project owner conducted a biological and a cultural survey and has determined the ground affected by the modification ha0073 been previously disturbed and has found no evidence of significant impacts.
- Staff agrees with the project owner that no other environmental areas of concern exist and that no new conditions of certification would be required.
Any person may file a written objection to staff's determination within 14 days of service of this notice on the grounds that the project modification does not meet the criteria set forth in Section 1769(a)(2). All objections must be in writing and must be sent either by U.S. mail, e-mail, or other document delivery service to Ron Yasny, Compliance Project Manager, at the address shown below:
California Energy Commission
1516 9th Street, MS 2000
Sacramento, CA 95814
Comments may be submitted by fax to (916) 654-3882, or by e-mail at email@example.com. If no substantive objection is received in writing by 5:00 p.m. on 03/06/2008 the requested project modifications will be deemed approved, and a description of the change will be placed in the project file.
If you have questions about this notice, please contact Ron Yasny at (916) 651-1227, or by fax or e-mail using the above information.
For further information on how to participate in this proceeding, please contact the Energy Commission Public Adviser's Office, at (916) 654-4489, or toll free in California at (800) 822-6228, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. News media inquiries should be directed to Assistant Director, Claudia Chandler, at (916) 654-4989, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
|Date Posted: February 19, 2008||
ENERGY RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND
EILEEN ALLEN, Manager