Kings River Peaking Power Plant
03-SPPE-02 (Application For Certification)
03-SPPE-2C (Compliance Proceeding)
Project Status: Licensed; In Compliance Phase. Operational: September 19, 2005
The California Energy Commission approved this project's Application for Certification on May 19, 2004. The Commission monitors the power plant's construction, operation and eventual decommissioning through a compliance proceeding.
Committee that oversaw Original Licensing Proceeding:
Karen Douglas, Chairman, Presiding Member
Julia Levin, Commissioner, Associate Member
Hearing Officer: Major Williams
- November 26, 2003 - Applicant files application for Small Power Plant Exemption (SPPE).
- December 17, 2003 - Commission begins formal licensing process.
- March 11, 2004 - Commission staff issue their Initial Study.
- April 15, 2004 - Project Committee issues its Proposed Small Power Plant Exemption Decision.
- May 19, 2004 - Project approved by Commission.
- September 19, 2005 - Power plant on line and producing power.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
On November 26, 2003, the Kings Rivers Conservation District filed a Small Power Plant Exemption for the King River Conservation District Peaking Power Plant. The proposed 97-megawatt natural gas-fired plant will be located south of the City of Fresno and near the community of Malaga in Fresno County.
Energy Commission Facility Certification Process
The California Energy Commission is the lead agency (for licensing thermal power plants 50 megawatts and larger) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and has a certified regulatory program under CEQA. Under its certified program, the Energy Commission is exempt from having to prepare an environmental impact report. Its certified program, however, does require environmental analysis of the project, including an analysis of alternatives and mitigation measures to minimize any significant adverse effect the project may have on the environment.
For Questions About This Siting Case Contact:
For Questions About Participation In Siting Cases Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office
- Submit e-Comment
- Submit e-Filing
- Documents for this Proceeding
- Exhibit List
- Proof of Service List
- Proof of Service Declaration Form MS Word or PDF
- Search Documents in this Proceeding
- Search All Power Plant Documents
- Legacy Notices Page
(No Longer Updated)
- Legacy Documents Page
(No Longer Updated)
- Legacy Compliance Documents for Original Kings River Peaking Power Plant Licensing Case Page
Docket No: 82-AFC-2C (No Longer Updated)