On June 12, 1998, the Pittsburg District Energy Facility, LLC, filed an application for certification for a 500-megawatt natural gas-fired cogeneration project to be located in the City of Pittsburg. The application was approved on August 17, 1999, and construction on the project began on September 20, 1999. On September 28, 1999, ownership of the Pittsburg Energy Facility, LLC was transferred to the Calpine Corporation.
On November 24, 1999, the California Energy Commission (Energy Commission) received a petition from the Calpine Corporation. The petition, submitted under section 1769 (a) of the California Energy Regulations, requested approval to modify the description and design of the Pittsburg District Energy Facility. Specifically, the Calpine Corporation seeks approval to implement the following changes:
- Modify the process make-up water supply to allow for the use of potable water from the City of Pittsburg for process make-up water. Reclaimed water from the Delta Diablo Sanitation District and raw water from the Contra Costa Water District will be primary and secondary back-up sources, respectively.
- Add a second circuit to the 115 kV transmission line dedicated to USS-POSCO.
- Modify the fuel gas pipeline route to tie into the Delta Energy Center's gas line at the Delta project site, and include Delta's gas line to PG&E's Line 400.
- Provide back-up steam to DOW Chemical.
- Change the name of the project from Pittsburg District Energy Facility to Los Medanos Energy Center.
COMMISSION REVIEW PROCEDURES
The purpose of the Energy Commission's review process under section 1769 (a) is to: assess the impacts of this proposal on environmental quality, public health and safety; assess the consistency of the proposed changes with the Energy Commission's decision on the project; and determine whether the project, as changed, complies with applicable laws, ordinances, regulations, and standards.
Upon receipt of an amendment request, Energy Commission staff notifies interested parties, completes an analysis, and schedules the amendment proposal to be heard at a regularly scheduled business meeting.
Part of the Energy Commission's review process involves consideration of public comment on proposed changes. If you have any questions, or wish to make comments regarding this request, please contact Ms. Jeri Zene Scott, Compliance Project Manager, at (916) 654-4228, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 days of the date of this notice.
For information on how you may participate in the amendment process, please contact Ms. Roberta Mendonca, the Energy Commission's Public Adviser, at (916) 654-4489 or toll free in California at (800) 822-6228. If you require special accommodations, contact Robert Sifuentes at (916) 654-5004. News media inquiries should be directed to Assistant Executive Director, Claudia Chandler, at (916) 654-4989.
If you would like to receive a copy of Calpine Corporation's request, staff's analysis, or the Energy Commission's order if this change is approved, please complete the enclosed Information Request Form and return it to the address shown.
Date On-line: January 3, 2000
ROBERT L. THERKELSEN
Deputy Director for
Energy Facilities Siting and Environmental Protection
Enclosure (not available in on-line version)
Mail List # 712
| Back to Main Page | Homepage | Calendar | Directory/Index | Search |