Russell City Energy Center
01-AFC-7C (Amendment Proceedings)
Project Status: Licensed; In Compliance Phase.
- September 11, 2002 - Energy Commission approves original license for project (Docket 01-AFC-7).
- November 17, 2006, Calpine Corporation and the Russell City Energy Company, LLC, files Petition to Amend the Commission Decision.
- April 3, 2007, Staff releases Part 1 of Staff Assessment.
- July 2, 2007, Staff releases (Final) Staff Assessment Part 1 and Part 2 Combined.
- August 23, 2007, Committee releases its Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- October 3, 2007, Commission makes final decision on Amendment to Original Decision.
- November 18, 2009, Russell City Energy Company LLC files second Petition to Amend the Commission Decision.
- June 28, 2010, Staff Analysis on Amendment # 2 released.
- July 9, 2010, Supplemental Staff Analysis released.
- May 24, 2012, Russell City Energy Company LLC files third Petition to Amend the Commission Decision.
- July 9, 2012, Notice of Determination on Amendment # 3 released.
- November 8, 2012, Russell City Energy Company LLC files fourth Petition to Amend the Commission Decision.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF AMENDMENTS
On November 17, 2006, Calpine Corporation and the Russell City Energy Company, LLC, filed a Petition to Amend the Commission Decision, to move the project location 1,300 feet northwest of the original location. The 600 megawatt project was certified by the Energy Commission on September 11, 2002, and is expected to begin construction in the second quarter of 2008. The facility will be located in the city of Hayward, in Alameda County.
On November 18, 2009, the Russell City Energy Company, LLC (RCEC) filed a petition with the Energy Commission to amend the Commission Decision for the Russell City Energy Center.
This Second Petition for Amendment includes the following components:
- Adding four new parcels as construction worker parking and construction laydown areas. The subsequent letter, filed on January 12, 2010 by RCEC, requested the withdrawal of one of the four proposed new laydown areas.
- Re-routing the potable water supply and sanitary sewer pipelines to connect with Depot Road instead of Enterprise Avenue. This new route will be shorter and entirely within the RCEC parcel as currently licensed.
- Updating the Air Quality Conditions of Certification to meet current best available control technology (BACT) standards for a number of pollutants, as established by the federal Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) permit.
On May 24, 2012 Russell City Energy Center filed a petition with the California Energy Commission requesting to make modifications to the Russell City Energy Center project (RCEC) facility. The proposed Russell City Energy Center Petition for Modification No. 3 (Amendment#3) requests the use of an additional area for construction parking and materials laydown for at least six months and possibly until commercial operation of the RCEC, anticipated in June 2013. The additional construction parking and laydown area (Winton Parking/Laydown Area or proposed site) encompasses six vacant parcels (a total of 15 acres), approximately one mile north of the RCEC project.
On November 8, 2012, Russell City Energy Company, LLC, filed a Petition to Amend the Commission Decision.
This Amendment includes the following components:
- Various non-substantive administrative changes to the Air Quality Conditions of Certification to clarify certain terms concerning monitoring and test methods and timing for initial source testing and to conform to the conditions in the Authority to Construct (ATC) air permit issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD);
- Modification of Condition of Certification VIS-2 (onsite landscaping) to allow planting in the first optimal planting season following commercial operation;
- Deletion of Condition of Certification VIS-9 (trailside improvements) because the condition is not feasible and is no longer necessary; and
- Modification of Condition of Certification VIS-10 to provide alternative offsite visual enhancement measures.
For Questions About This Siting Case Contact:
For Questions About Participation In Siting Cases Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office