San Joaquin Valley Energy Center
Power Plant Project
01-AFC-22 (Application For Certification)
01-AFC-22C (Compliance Proceeding)
Project Status: License Expired.
The California Energy Commission approved this project's Application for Certification on January 14, 2004. The Commission monitors the power plant's construction, operation and eventual decommissioning through a compliance proceeding.
Committee that oversaw Original Licensing Proceeding:
Arthur H. Rosenfeld, Commissioner, Presiding Member
John L. Geesman, Commissioner, Associate Member
Hearing Officer: TBA
- October 31, 2001 - Applicant files Application For Certification (AFC).
- January 9, 2002 - AFC deemed "data adequate."
- July 16, 2002 - Staff Assessment on project released.
- December 4, 2003 - Presiding Member's Proposed Decision released.
- January 14, 2004 - Commission approves San Joaquin project.
- January 14, 2009 - License expires before plant is built (five-year deadline without an extension request). Project moved into "not built/cancelled" status.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
San Joaquin Valley Energy Center LLC proposes to develop a 1,087 megawatt natural gas-fired generating facility in the City of San Joaquin in Fresno County, California. The proposed SJVEC would be a combined-cycle generating facility that will sell electricity in the deregulated market.
Energy Commission Facility Certification Process
The California Energy Commission is the lead agency (for licensing thermal power plants 50 megawatts and larger) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and has a certified regulatory program under CEQA. Under its certified program, the Energy Commission is exempt from having to prepare an environmental impact report. Its certified program, however, does require environmental analysis of the project, including an analysis of alternatives and mitigation measures to minimize any significant adverse effect the project may have on the environment.
For Questions About This Siting Case Contact:
For Questions About Participation In Siting Cases Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office