In the Matter of:
Application for Certification
for the Sutter Power Plant Project
NOTICE OF COMMITTEE
This Notice is to inform you that the Committee designated to conduct proceedings on the Application for Certification for the Sutter Power Plant Project will hold a public Conference as follows:
MONDAY, JULY 13, 1998This Conference will provide each party an opportunity to: 1) inform the Committee on the status of the Sutter Power Plant case proceeding, including any potential delays; 2) address other parties' comments; and 3) discuss any other matters relevant to this proceeding.
beginning at 10:00 a.m.
1425 Circle Drive
Yuba City, CA 95593
More specifically, the Commission staff's Status Report to the Committee, dated June 24, 1998, advised that, "[t]he Preliminary Staff Assessment (PSA) will be incomplete in a number of important areas including air quality, biological resources, water resources and transmission system engineering." The report also noted the possibility of unresolved issues causing a delay in the filing date of the Final Staff Assessment (FSA), scheduled for the end of August, and a delay in the evidentiary hearings. At the Status Conference, Staff should be prepared to discuss with the Committee the specific issues and outcomes which could cause a delay in this proceeding, and whether these are likely to cause the 12 month deadline to be exceeded.
In addition, the Committee directs Staff to summarize the respective roles of the Commission and Sutter County in the environmental review process associated with the proposed general plan amendment needed to accommodate the Sutter Project. Specifically, the Committee would like answers to the following questions:
- What is the scope of the Commission staff's environmental review? Is it limited to the power plant site or will Sutter County rely on the Commission's review to support the proposed general plan amendment?
- When will Sutter County hear and adopt the General Plan amendment and rezone?
- Do the parties contemplate that the Commission and Sutter County will enter into a memorandum of understanding (MOU), which defines each party's authority, role and responsibilities?
- Does the Commission staff and/or Sutter County staff contemplate joint workshops or hearings regarding the general plan amendment?
- Will Commission staff ensure, in its notices and during workshops, that the public understands a general plan amendment is part of the process for licensing the Sutter Project?
For information concerning public participation, please contact Roberta Mendonca, the Commission's Public Adviser, at (916) 654-4489 or, toll free, 1-800-822-6228. If you require special accommodations, contact Robert Sifuentes at (916) 654-5004. Technical questions concerning the project should be addressed to Paul Richins, the Commission's Project Manager, at (916) 654-4074. Questions of a legal or procedural nature should be directed to Gary Fay, the Hearing Officer, at (916) 654-3865.
William J. Keese, Chairman
Associate Committee Member
Michal C. Moore, Commissioner
Presiding Committee Member
Date Mailed: July 1, 1998
Mailed to List: #709, Proof of Service List
| Back to Notices Page | Homepage | Calendar | Directory/Index | Search |