The purpose of this solicitation is to fund Energy-related Environmental Research projects that meet the following initiatives:
- Characterization of Climate and Criteria Air Pollutant Emissions Before and After Deployment of a Renewable Natural Gas Project
- Fostering Natural Gas Sector Resilience
Renewable natural gas (i.e., biomethane) has the potential to be a low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission fuel in California. It could substantially contribute to the reduction of GHG emissions from major sources of methane such as dairies, landfills, and wastewater treatment plants. However, climate and air pollution benefits are not well quantified. To prepare for the impact of climate change, the investor-owned utilities (IOUs) have, through public workshops and other means, expressed need for projected and historical climate data at finer spatial and temporal resolution. This solicitation fills research gaps in these two areas.
Projects must fall within the following project groups:
- Group 1: Characterization of Climate and Criteria Air Pollutant Emissions Before and After Deployment of a Renewable Natural Gas Project; or
- Group 2: Development of High Temporal and Geographical Resolution Characterization of Historical Climatic Conditions in California to Support Natural Gas Sector Utilities.
See Part II of this solicitation for project eligibility requirements. Applications will be evaluated as follows: Stage One proposal screening and Stage Two proposal scoring. Applicants may submit multiple applications, though each application may address only one of the project groups identified above. If an applicant submits multiple applications that address the same project group, each application must be for a distinct project (i.e., no overlap with respect to the tasks described in the Scope of Work).
- Addendum 1 updates the key activities schedule, add additional legal, regulatory, and policy references, add to the project focus in the Solicitation Manual, and add clarification to the Past Agreements direction in Attachment 1.
- Addendum 2 updates the Solicitation Manual, to reflect the omission of Attachment 14 and add various attachment numbers for clarification.
- Questions and Answers (See Solicitation Files)
- Pre-Application Workshop Attendee List (See Solicitation Files)
- Pre-Application Workshop Recording - YouTube
- Notice of Proposed Awards - Cover Letter and Results (See Solicitation Files)