Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program Proceedings
Fuels and Transportation Division
- Driving to Cleaner Transportation
- DRIVE: California's Alternative & Renewable Fuel & Vehicle Technology Program
- 2013-2014 Investment Plan Proceeding (Docket #12-ALT-02)
- 2014-2015 Investment Plan Proceeding (Docket #13-ALT-02)
- 2015-2016 Investment Plan Proceeding (Docket #14-ALT-01)
- 2016-2017 Investment Plan Proceeding (Docket #15-ALT-01)
Assembly Bill 118 (Núñez, Chapter 750, Statutes of 2007) created the California Energy Commission's Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program. The statute, subsequently amended by Assembly Bill 109 (Núñez, Chapter 313, Statutes of 2008), and Assembly Bill 8 (Perea, Chapter 401, Statutes of 2013) authorizes the Energy Commission to develop and deploy alternative and renewable fuels and advanced transportation technologies to help attain the state's climate change policies. The Energy Commission has an annual program budget of approximately $100 million to support projects that:
- Develop and improve alternative and renewable low-carbon fuels.
- Optimize alternative and renewable fuels for existing and developing engine technologies.
- Produce alternative and renewable low-carbon fuels in California.
- Decrease, on a full fuel cycle basis, the overall impact and carbon footprint of alternative and renewable fuels and increase sustainability.
- Expand fuel infrastructure, fueling stations, and equipment.
- Improve light-, medium-, and heavy-duty vehicle technologies.
- Retrofit medium- and heavy-duty on-road and non-road vehicle fleets.
- Expand infrastructure connected with existing fleets, public transit, and transportation corridors.
- Establish workforce training programs, conduct public education and promotion, and create technology centers.
The statute allows the Energy Commission to use grants, loans, loan guarantees, revolving loans, and other appropriate measures. Eligible recipients include: public agencies, private businesses, public-private partnerships, vehicle and technology consortia, workforce training partnerships and collaboratives, fleet owners, consumers, recreational boaters, and academic institutions. The Energy Commission must prepare and adopt an Investment Plan and convene an Advisory Committee to assist in preparing the Investment Plan.
2016-2017 Investment Plan Proceeding
2016-2017 Investment Plan Proceeding (Docket # 15-ALT-01)
The Investment Plan will establish priorities and describe how funding will complement existing public and private investments, including other state programs. All projects funded by the Energy Commission will be consistent with the priorities established in the Investment Plan.
For more information, please contact:
Alternative and Renewable Fuel & Vehicle Technology Program
Fuels & Transportation Division
California Energy Commission
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office
Alternative Fuels Program
- 2016-2017 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 15-ALT-01)
- 2015-2016 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 14-ALT-01)
- 2014-2015 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 13-ALT-2)
- 2013-2014 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 12-ALT-2)
- 2012-2013 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 11-ALT-1)
- 2011-2012 Alternative Fuels Investment Plan (Docket # 10-ALT-1)
- Implementation of the Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program (Docket # 08-ALT-1)
Hydrogen Refueling Network
Other Alt Fuels Proceedings
- Funding Strategies for Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
(Docket # 16-ALT-01)
- Lead Commissioner Workshop: State, Regional, and Local Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Planning and Investment
(Docket # 15-ALT-02)
- Fuels and Transportation Technology Merit Review
(Docket # 15-MISC-04)
- Rulemaking to Modify Alternative and Renewable Fuels and Vehicle Technology Program Funding Restrictions
(Docket # 15-OIR-02)
- Implementation of Energy Commission Activities within the Zero Emission Vehicle Action Plan
(Docket # 13-ALT-01)
- AB 118 Rulemaking
(Docket # 08-OIR-1)
- Calif. Fuel-Efficient Tire Program
(Docket # 07-FET-1)
Alternative Fuels List Serve
Automated Email Notifications
- AB 1007 Report
(State Alternative Fuels Plan)
- ARB Rulemaking
Air Quality Guidelines
- Drive Clean California
(Zero and Near-Zero Emissions Vehicle Guide)
- Clean Cities
- Alternative Fuels & Advanced Vehicle Data Center - (U.S. DOE)