The third edition of the CEC’s style manual, which explains the required format, is available below. Reports written and submitted to the CEC should follow the third edition. A fourth edition of the manual is scheduled to be released in January 2020.
Style Manual and Templates for Consultant Reports
Energy Commission's Style Manual: Third Edition - PDF.
Published August 2015.
Document Template - Word for Consultant Reports (Updated: September 2019)
Use the Final Report Template - Word for Final Project Reports for the Clean Transportation Program, known as the Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program. (Posted 6/25/2019, 1.4mb)
Major Updates Since Last Edition
There have been some major and minor changes throughout the style manual for consultant reports, correcting errors and mistakes. The following are the main updates that have changed since the last edition.
- Cover is redesigned to be a more modern, professional look.
- Credits page moved to inside of the front cover, and no blank pages are used are used after the cover and credits pages.
- Citation information moved to bottom of the abstract and keywords page.
- Headings and subheadings have decreased in point size from previous edition. See Table 1 for full listing of font and sizes to be used throughout all reports.
- The CEC has changed the requirement that blank pages need to be inserted at the end of chapters or after certain parts (acknowledgments, preface, abstract). This change will reduce the amount of paper being used in reports. Blank pages, however, still should be inserted after the following pages so that the next section begins on the right-hand side.
- The credits page is now the backside of the cover. Blank pages are no longer added following the cover or credits page.
- Blank pages are not used at the end of chapters so that next chapter begins on the right side.
- Blank pages are not used following single-page acknowledgments page.
- Blank pages are not used following table of contents, list of figures, and list of tables.
- Blank pages are not used following executive summary (if used).
- Insert a blank page so that Executive Summary and Chapter 1 always begin on the right-hand side.
- Additional items have been added to the "Word Use and Misuse" section, Chapter 7.
- The steps in the review process have been refined and clarified.