- Project Owner
- Calpine Corporation
- Docket Number
- 115 MW
- Santa Clara County
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Gilroy Cogeneration Project (GCP) located at 1400 Pacheco Pass Highway, Gilroy, Santa Clara County.
GCP is a 115-megawatt is a natural gas-fired, combined-cycle cogeneration facility consisting of one combustion turbine, one heat recovery steam generator, one steam turbine and two auxiliary boilers. GCP produces and sells thermal energy to a thermal host, Olam West Coast, under a long-term contract.
On August 7, 1996, the California Energy Commission (CEC) approved an ownership change (TN 3114) from Gilroy Energy Company to Calpine Gilroy Cogen, LP.
On July 13, 2005, the CEC approved a Post-Certification Amendment (PCA) (TN 36080) to change the source of cooling water supply from wells to Title 22 quality recycled wastewater from the South County Regional Wastewater Authority facility located adjacent to the GCP site.
On April 10, 2013, the CEC approved a PCA (TN 70281) the installation of new Selective Catalytic Reduction units on GCP’s two auxiliary boilers allowing the project to comply with changes to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District regulations for emissions of NOx for auxiliary boilers.
Calpine Corporation, the project owner, entered into a Resource Adequacy contract for the plant with Southern California Edison beginning in January 2014.
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification No. 3, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-1130-06a, Commission approval to change AQ-3 based on information obtained after certification.
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification No. 4, Not in Docket, Order No. 89-0920-05a, Commission approval to change AQ-4 based on information obtained after certification.
- Order Approving Amendment of Need Condition of Certification No. 2, Not in Docket, Order No. 90-0523-17c, Commission approval to change Condition of Certification NEED-2.
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification No. 19, Not in Docket, Order No. 90-1017-09b, Commission approval to change AQ-19 based on information obtained after certification.
- Approval of Installation of a Thermal Energy Storage System, Not in Docket, 10-08-1993, Staff Approval to install a Thermal Energy Storage System (TES) and chilled gas turbine inlet air system addition.
- Approval of Revision of the Verification Portion of Cogeneration Criteria Condition Five, Not in Docket, 02-10-1994, Staff Approval of revision of the verification portion of Cogeneration Criteria Condition five to remove duplicative effort.
- Approval of Change in the Parcels of Land Used for Wastewater Disposal, TN 2650, 04-16-1996, Staff approval of the change in the parcels of land used for wastewater disposal.
- Commission Order Transferring License to Calpine Gilroy Cogen, L.P, TN 3114, 08/16/1996, Order No. 96-0807-01(b), Resolution: Commission approval of Transfer of License to Calpine Gilroy Cogen, L.P.
- Order Approving Modifications to Change the Source of Power Plant Cooling Water to Recycled Wastewater, TN 36080, 12/14/2005, Order No. 05-0713-01b, Commission approval to modify the source of its power plant cooling water to recycled wastewater.
- Order Approving a Petition to Install Dry Low Nitrogen Oxide Combustor Unit, TN 60288, 04/19/2011, Order No. 11-0406-03, Commission approval to install a Dry Low Nitrogen Oxide (DLN) combustor unit on the Project's S-100 General Electric Frame 7 Gas Turbine Generator (S-1 00 gas turbine).
- Order Approving a Petition to Install Two New Selective Catalytic Reduction Units on the Project's Two Auxiliary Boilers, TN 70281, 04/12/2013, Order No. 13-0410-04, Commission approval to install two new Selective Catalytic Reduction units on the project's two auxiliary boilers.
- Order Approving the Removal of Integrated Assessment of Need Condition of Certification 3, TN 226208, 01/04/2019, Order No. 18-1210-01b, Removal of NEED-3 to remove the requirement to produce thermal energy for a steam host in addition to electrical energy.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors projects under its jurisdiction throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed for approving the projects.