- Project Owner
- NextEra Energy Resources
- Docket Number
- 150 MW
- San Bernardino County
- Project Status
- Facility Closure
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Solar Energy Generating System (SEGS) III-VII project located near Kramer Junction, California, about 30 miles west of Barstow, in San Bernardino County, California. The site occupies approximately 1,000 acres (170 acres for each of the five units) and is developed on generally level desert terrain within Kramer Basin at an elevation of 2,450 feet. It is surrounded by discontinuous low-relief uplands including the Saddleback Mountains to the north and the Kramer Hills to the south and is classified as having a high desert climate. Hot and dry summers with occasional intense desert thunderstorms are followed by cool and dry winters. High winds and blowing sand and dust are frequent in the area.
SEGS III-VII consists of five 30-megawatt (MW) (150-megawatt net total) solar and natural gas fired units. Electricity produced from the project is sold to Southern California Edison.
The project owner previously suspended operation of the SEGS VI and VII facilities pursuant to a cold layup plan for VI and VII that was submitted to the CEC in September 2018. In October 2019, the project owner submitted a new cold layup plan to suspend operation at all five units (SEGS III-VII). Safe Layup activities have been completed for SEGS III-VII per the cold layup plan submitted in 2019.
Since 2005 NextEra Energy Resources (NEER) previously suspended operation of the SEGS VI and VII facilities pursuant to a Cold Layup Plan for VI & VII that was submitted to the California Energy Commission in September 2018.
On October 31, 2018, a September 2018 Cold Layup Plan for SEGS Units VI-VII was docketed (TN 225713). An addendum was docketed on August 20, 2019 (TN 229493).
On February 12, 2021, a Decommissioning Plan for the SEGS Units III-VII facility was docketed (TN 236752). On April 20, 2021, a Final Decommissioning Plan for SEGS Units III-VII was docketed (TN 237500).
- Amendments filed under the 87-AFC-01C docket number.
- Notice of Post-Certification Change for the Kramer Juntion Company's SEGS III-VII Projects. TN-4871 Submitted 7/8/1997.
- Notice of Post-Certification Change for the Kramer Junction Company's SEGS III-VII Projects. The oil/water separator is molded plastic measuring about 2 ft wide by 3.5 ft long by 2 ft high, and will be installed on top of the center, and shortest, of five tanks comprising KJC's Water and Oil Processing Equipment (WOPE). TN-7416 Submitted 11/5/1997.
- Notice of Exemption - Approval of Elimination of the 16 Hours-Per-Day Limit on Fossil Fuel Electrical Gen at the SEGS III-VII Facility TN-22231 Submitted 9/5/2001.
- Order Approving Transfer of operational control to FPL Energy Operating Services, Inc. (Order No. 05-0216-01(d). TN-33517 Submitted 2/23/2005.
- Notice of Determination -Petition to Add New Foundation and Containment Structure for Spare Transformer TN-67280 Submitted 9/24/2012.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors Commission-certified energy projects throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed by the Commission’s Final Decision for approving the projects.