- Docket Number
- 530 MW
- Contra Costa County
- Combined Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Gateway Generating Station (GGS), licensed as the Contra Costa Unit 8 Power Project, is located within the site complex of the existing Contra Costa Power Plant (CCPP) in Contra Costa County, just north of the City of Antioch, Contra Costa County.
GGS is a nominal 530-megawatt natural gas-fired, combined-cycle facility consisting of two natural gas-fired combustion turbine generators, two heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs), and a steam turbine generator. Additional project facilities include two 195-foot tall exhaust stacks on the heat recovery generators, a 10-cell water cooling tower, storage tanks, a control building, and electrical power transformers and transmission facilities to interconnect with the existing Pacific Gas and Electric switchyard on the CCPP site complex, back up diesel generators for either fire pumps or for a spare generator step up transformer, additional 40,000 gallon storage tank, and operational related utility upgrades and additional safety improvements.
On January 3, 2007 the California Energy Commission (CEC) approved a Post-Certification Amendment (PCA) (TN 39055) to change the project name from Contra Costa Power Plant Unit 8 to Gateway Generating Station (GGS).
On August 1, 2007, the CEC approved a PCA (TN 41809) to amend the proposed GGS to eliminate use of San Joaquin River water for cooling and replace the wet cooling tower with an air cooled condenser and a wet surface air cooler, and the elimination of the use of steam power augmentation and the addition of an oil/water separator several other design modifications.
- Order Approving Request to extend Construction Milestone, TN 32227, 08/30/2004, Order No. 04-0825-04, Commission approval of request to extend construction milestones.
- Order Approving Addition of Pacific Gas and Electric Company as Co-Owner and Operator with Mirant Delta, LLC, TN 37486, 07/27/2006, Order No. 06-0705-08, Commission approval for addition of PGE as co-owner, extension of construction milestones, and other facility modifications.
- Order Clarifying that PG&E is Now the Sole Owner and Removing Mirant Delta, LLC as a Co-Owner, and Changing the Name of the Gateway Generating Station, TN 39055, 01/23/2007, Order No. 07-0103-09, Commission approval clarifying that PG&E is now the sole owner of Contra Costa Power Plant Unit 8, removing Mirant Delta, LLC as a co-owner, and changing the name of the project to the Gateway Generating Station.
- Order Amending the Energy Commission Decision to Eliminate the Use of San Joaquin River Water as the Cooling Water Source, TN 41809, 08/06/2007, Order No. 07-0801-02, Commission approval eliminate the use of San Joaquin River water as the cooling water source for the project and complete the following ten associated project design changes at the facility in support of this change in cooling technology.
- Order to Amend the Commission Decision to Allow Use of Anhydrous Ammonia as Refrigerant in the Inlet Air Chiller, TN 43677, 12/11/2007, Order No. 07-1205-09, Commission approval to allow use of anhydrous ammonia as the refrigerant in the inlet air chiller.
- Order to Amend the Energy Commission Decision to Allow Use of two Additional Water Tanks, TN 44065, 01/09/2008, Order No. 08-0102-03, Commission approval to allow use of two additional water tanks.
- Notice of Insignificant Project Change for Approval to revise the route of the sanitary sewer line, TN 45404, 02/19/2008, Staff approval of a revision of sanitary sewer line route follows Wilbur Avenue east for approximately 2000 feet.
- Order Amending the Energy Commission Decision to Modify Equipment and Change Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 53025, 08/27/2009, Order No. 09-0826-05, Commission approval to modify equipment and change Air Quality conditions.
- Order Approving a Petition to Modify Air Quality Conditions of Certification to Reflect BAAQMD Current Conditions, TN 62117, 09/09/2011, Order No. 11-0907-03, Commission approval to modify Air Quality conditions of certification to reflect Bay Area Air Quality Management District current conditions and Prevention of Significant Deterioration enforcement action by court decree.
- Approval to Install a 40,000-Gallon Water Storage Tank, TN 64850, 04/19/2012, Staff approval to install a new 40,000-gallon bolted carbon steel storage tank.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Add Additional Decking, TN 203016, 08/29/2014, Staff approval to add additional decking to north side of steam turbine deck and relocate area lighting and associated electrical power supply conduits to accommodate new decking
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install a Fixed Hydrogen Tube Bank, TN 203918, 03/18/2015, Staff approval to install a fixed hydrogen tube bank at the south side of the facility.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install a New Storm Water Treatment System, TN 214245, 10/28/2016, Staff approval to install a new storm water treatment system at GGS in order to comply with the most recent NPDES Industrial General Permit.
- Order Approving Settlement, TN 224369, 08/02/2018, Order No. 18-0801-05, Commission approval Settlement Agreement for PG&E being out of compliance with reporting requirements.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors projects under its jurisdiction throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed for approving the projects.