- Docket Number
- 323 MW
- Los Angeles County
- Combined Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Magnolia Power Project (MPP) is located on approximately 3 acres of the existing 23-acre Magnolia Power Station at 164 West Magnolia Boulevard in Burbank, northwestern Los Angeles County. The MPP is owned by the Southern California Public Power Authority (SCPPA) and operated by the City of Burbank’s Water & Power Department.
The MPP is a 323-megawatt (MW) natural gas-fired combined-cycle electrical power generating facility powered by a Model 7FA General Electric combustion turbine generator with a heat recovery steam generator and a steam turbine generator that interconnect to the onsite Olive Substation via two underground transmission lines. The MPP uses reclaimed water from the Burbank Water Reclamation Plant, which can provide up to 6.546 million gallons of water per day, for cooling tower makeup. The MPP has a zero liquid discharge wastewater treatment system.
On March 24, 2021, the California Energy Commission approved a Post-Certification Amendment (TN 237289) to upgrade the existing combustion system to allow improved combustor turndown and increased operating flexibility to integrate better with intermittent renewable energy resources.
- Approval of Verification Changes VIS-1 and VIS-6, TN 29997, 09/03/2003, Staff approval of verification changes to Conditions of Certification VIS-1 and VIS-6 to avoid unnecessary and burdensome requirements that are not needed to confirm compliance with the conditions.
- Approval of Petition to Add Additional Laydown Areas, TN 30181, 10/31/2003, Staff approval to add two additional laydown areas for equipment storage and additional parking.
- Approval of Petition to Modify the Transmission System, TN 31289, 05/04/2004, Staff approval to modify the on-site 69 kV transmission system and improve the bus configuration at the Olive Switchyard.
- Approval of Petition for Additional Safety Platforms, Stairs and Ladders, TN 42306, 09/14/2007, Staff approval to add additional safety platforms, stairs and ladders.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Add an Industrial Elevator on the Heat Recovery Steam Generator, TN 63548, 02/03/2012, Staff approval to add rack & pinion elevator (2760 lb capacity) to provide vertical transport service from a base landing to a top landing on the platform that is 87 feet above the base.
- Order Approving Petition to Amend – Change in Startup and Shutdown Operation, TN 220751, 08/15/2017, Order No. 17-0809-03, Modifications to startup and shutdown operation including an increase in startup duration, number of startups and shutdowns, and duct burner operation.
- Statement of Staff Approval for Upgrade Combustors in the Gas Turbine and Installation of New Fuel Gas System Piping, TN 232017, 02/12/2020, Staff approval to modify the combustor system to improve combustion turbine generator-turndown while maintaining the current emission limits and installation of new fuel gas system piping. Modify Air Quality Conditions of Certification.
- Statement of Staff Approval – Upgrade Combustion System, TN 237289, 03/24/2021, Staff approval to upgrade existing combustion system to allow improved combustor turndown and increased operating flexibility to integrate better with intermittent renewable energy resources. The upgrade would allow the turbine to operate at lower loads without increasing the emission limits.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors projects under its jurisdiction throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed for approving the projects.