- Docket Number
- 500 MW
- San Diego County
- Combined Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Palomar Energy Center (PEC) is situated within the Escondido Research and Technology Center industrial park, southwest of the intersection of Vineyard Avenue and Enterprise Street in the city of Escondido, San Diego County. The project site is about 600 feet, west of Interstate 15 and south of State Highway 78.
The 500-megawatt facility consisting of two combustion turbine-generators equipped with dry low combustors and evaporative inlet air coolers, two heat recovery steam generators equipped with duct burners, selective catalyst reduction and oxidation catalyst emission control systems, a steam turbine-generator, and associated auxiliary systems and equipment. The project also includes a 230-kilovolt switchyard that interconnects with a San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) Company electric transmission line located immediately adjacent to the project site. The power plant is fueled by natural gas delivered via the SDG&E gas system. An existing SDG&E natural gas pipeline with sufficient capacity to serve the project is located immediately adjacent to the project site.
On December 13, 2017, the California Energy Commission approved a Post-Certification Amendment (TN 222106) to allow augmenting cooling tower makeup water with fire hydrant flushing water and storm water captured onsite.
- Approval of Petition to Modify a Portion of the Brine Return Pipeline Route, TN 32922, 12/13/2004, Staff approval to modify a Portion of the Brine Return Pipeline Route.
- Order Approving a Petition to Correct Noise Level Limits, TN 36464, Order No. 06-0301-02, Commission approval to correct the noise level limits specified in the existing condition at two locations during plant operation.
- Order Approving Transfer of Ownership and Operational Control to San Diego Gas and Electric, TN 36612, Order No. 06-0315-02, Commission approval of ownership transfer and operational control transfer to San Diego Gas & Electric.
- Order Approving a Petition to Allow the Use of Raw Water as a Back-up Supply to Recycled Water, TN 36735, Order No. 06-0412-02, Commission approval to allow the project to utilize the City of Escondido's back-up raw water supply when recycled water is unavailable due to maintenance or events beyond the City's control.
- Order Approving a Petition to Add a Turbine Inlet Air Chiller, TN 43675, Order No. 07-1205-05, Commission approval to replace the existing combustion turbine air inlet evaporative coolers with refrigeration chillers and install a thermal energy storage tank.
- Approval of Requested Modification to Install and Operate New Water Treatment Storage Tanks and Related Equipment, Not in Docket, 05/27/2010, Staff approval to install and operate new water treatment storage tanks and related equipment.
- Order Approving a Petition to Install and Operate an Emergency Engine, TN 59310, Order No. 10-1215-18, Commission approval to install and operate an emergency engine.
- Approval of Erection of an Electrical Parts Storage Warehouse at Palomar Energy Center, TN 62477, 10/04/2011, Staff approval to erect a new 1,532 square-foot structural steel and metal frame warehouse on land that is currently being used for outdoor storage.
- Approval of Request to Expand an Existing Switch Gear Enclosure at Palomar Energy Center, TN 62478, 10/04/2011, Staff approval to add a 270 square-foot expansion to the existing 960 square-foot switch gear enclosure.
- Approval to Install a New Gantry Crane for Steam Turbine Maintenance, TN 63467, 01/27/2012, Staff approval to install a new gantry crane for steam turbine maintenance.
- Approval to Install an Elevator on the Unit One Heat Recovery Steam Generator, TN 64440, 03/27/2012, Staff approval to install an elevator on the unit one heat recovery steam generator.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install a Bridge Crane For Combustion Turbine Maintenance, TN 66059, 07/02/2012, Staff approval to install a new Bridge Crane for Combustion Turbine Maintenance.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend to Install a new Bridge Crane for Combustion Turbine Maintenance, TN 68279, Order No. 12-1010-03, Commission approval to install a new Bridge Crane for Combustion Turbine Maintenance.
- Approval to Expand the Administration Building, TN 68957, 12/21/2012, Staff approval to expand the administration building.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend Air Quality Condition of Certification AQ-SC13, TN 70698, Order No. 13-0508-05, Commission approval to modify Air Quality Condition of Certification AQ-SC13, which restricts the testing and maintenance of the critical services generator to one hour per week.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Conditions of Certification and Upgrade to the Advanced Gas Path Technology, TN 222106, Order No. 17-1213-01d, Commission approval to modify AQ conditions, upgrade AGP technology, and changes to water conditions.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
The CEC has the exclusive authority to certify all thermal power plants 50 megawatts (MW) and larger and related facilities proposed for construction in California. The Application for Certification (AFC) process is a certified regulatory program under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). As a certified regulatory program, the CEC does not prepare environmental impact reports (EIRs) in an AFC proceeding, but instead prepares environmental assessment documents that are functionally equivalent to EIRs. A certificate issued by the CEC is in lieu of any permit, certificate, or similar document otherwise required by any state, local or regional agency, or federal agency to the extent permitted by federal law, and supersedes any applicable statute, ordinance, or regulation of any state, local, or regional agency, or federal agency to the extent permitted by federal law.