- Docket Number
- 330 MW
- San Joaquin County
- Combined Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Tracy Combined-Cycle Power Plant (TCCPP) is in an unincorporated portion of San Joaquin County, southwest of the city of Tracy, approximately 20 miles southwest of Stockton.
TCCPP was approved by the California Energy Commission (CEC) on March 24, 2010. The license allowed the project developer, GWF Energy, LLC to modify their existing 169-megawatt (MW) simple-cycle Tracy Peaker Plant (TPP) (01-AFC-16C) that was certified by the CEC in 2002 and began operation in 2003.
TCCPP is a 330 MW natural gas-fired, combined-cycle generating facility consisting of two General Electric Model PG 7121 EA combustion turbine generators (CTGs) equipped with a dry low NOx (DLN) combustor system to control the NOx concentration exiting each CTG. TCCPP also includes two onsite 115-kilovolt switchyards, a natural gas supply interconnection, an electric transmission line, an approximately 1,470-foot water supply pipeline, and improvements to an existing dirt access road approximately one mile in length.
TCCPP also consists of an air-cooled condenser. Annual water use for evaporative cooling of inlet air (when ambient conditions dictate) and for make-up water for the steam cycle is approximately 54 acre-feet per year. Water is sourced from the Byron-Bethany Irrigation District via the Delta-Mendota Canal adjacent to the project site.
On July 30, 2015, the CEC approved a Post-Certification Amendment (TN 205634) to allow project owner to use alternative water supplies (four alternatives are proposed) to avoid being forced to reduce or suspend operations. All alternative water source options could use temporary onsite infrastructure.
- Notice of Insignificant Project Change Approval for Portable Water Treatment System, TN 28475, 03/26/2003, Staff approval to substitute the permanent water/wastewater treatment system with portable treatment systems.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 29462, 07/31/2003, Order No. 03-0723-07, Commission approval to modify various air quality conditions of certification to reduce PM10 emission limits and lower the amount of required PM10 emission reduction credits required.
- Order Approving a Petition to Substitute a Larger Diesel Engine for the Engine Originally Licensed, TN 30793, 01/29/2004, Order No. 04-0121-04, Commission approval to substitute a slightly larger, 300-kilowatt (kW) emergency diesel engine for the originally licensed 250 kW emergency diesel engine.
- Commission Adoption Order Approving Conversion of Peaker to Combined-Cycle Project, TN 56074, 03/30/2010, Order No. 10-0324-01, Commission approval to increase electricity generation by 145 MW, for a combined total of 314 MW. The project became Tracy Combined-Cycle Project (08-AFC-07C).
- Notice of Determination for Approval of Temporary Construction Laydown Area, TN 62374, 09/29/2011, Staff approval to increase size of temporary laydown area to include additional 5.45 acres of land located in the northeast portion of the GWF property.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install Different Equipment than Previously Approved, TN 63414, 01/19/2012, Staff approval to install equipment different from originally proposed equipment to improve thermal efficiency.
- Notice of Determination and Staff's Analysis to Maintain and Add Trailers to Site, TN 203238, 06/09/2014, Staff approval to allow the project to maintain two trailers that are currently onsite, and to add an additional trailer.
- Order Approving Transfer of Operational Control to Star West Generation Management Company, TN 202593, 06/25/2014, Order No. 14-0618-01e, Commission approval of operational control transfer from GWF Energy, LLC to Star West Generation Management Company.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend to Allow the Use of Alternative Water Supplies, TN 205634, 08/04/2015, Order No. 15-0730-03, Commission approval to use alternative water supplies (four alternatives are proposed) to avoid being forced to reduce or suspend operations.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Allow the Trucking, Rather than Piping, of Emergency Backup Water, TN 210295, 02/12/2016, Staff approval to allow trucking, rather than piping, of emergency backup water from Bogetti family groundwater well located approximately 3,000 feet south of the project.
- Order Approving Transfer Of Ownership, TN 211147, 04/20/2016, Order No. 16-0413-01a, Commission approval of ownership transfer from GWF Energy, LLC to AltaGas San Joaquin Energy Inc., and operational control from Star West Generation Management Company to AltaGas Tracy Operations Inc.
- Notice of Staff Approval for Change of Operational Control, TN 227231, 03/01/2019, Staff approval of operational control change from AltaGas Tracy Operations Inc. to MRP San Joaquin Energy LLC.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors Commission-certified energy projects throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed by the Commission’s Final Decision for approving the projects.