- Docket Number
- 163 MW
- Reciprocating Engine
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
Humboldt Bay Generating Station (HBGS) is located at 1000 King Salmon Avenue, Eureka, California.
HBGS is a nominal 163-megawatt (MW) load following facility consisting of ten natural gas-fired Wärtsilä 18V50DF 16.3 MW reciprocating engine generator sets and associated equipment
HBGS can run on California Air Resources Board (CARB)-certified diesel fuel in order to ensure local area reliability during instances of natural gas curtailment in the region as required by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and PG&E's CPUC Gas Tariff Rule 14.
HBGS latest improvements also operations less than 50 percent load, down to three MW per engine to support local operations including “low loading mode” and “black start mode”.
- Approval to Temporarily Use Two Additional Laydown Areas During Construction, TN 51564, 05/13/2009, Staff approval of two additional laydown areas, comprised of approximately 30 acres in the Fields Landing industrial area, during construction.
- Order approving petition to Modify Air Quality and Public Company Health Conditions of Certification, TN 56555, 05/04/2010, Order No. 10-0421-03, Modify Air Quality and Public Health conditions of certification for consistency with District conditions.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install a Backup 60-kV Transformer On-site, TN 205947, 08/31/2015, Staff approval of installation of a spare transformer should the existing transformer fail during project operation.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Install a Temporary Tent Onsite, TN 206361, 10/14/2015, Staff approval of installation of temporary tent onsite to allow for storage of large equipment components and spare parts onsite.
- Notice of Determination for Approval to Relocate the Existing Natural Gas Meter, TN 212946, 08/25/2016, Staff approval to relocate existing natural gas meter on site; install new pipeline connection, install above and below ground pipe for meter; and remove original pipeline connection from Line 189.
- Notice of Determination for Approval of Minor Improvements, TN 213637, 09/14/2016, Staff approval to modify existing fiber optic communications system, relocate network communication system, install new microwave dish and monopole, and re-route portion of existing water line.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 223945, 06/26/2018, Order No. 18-0613-01a, Commission approval to modify Air Quality Conditions of Certification for conformance with Title V Permit to Operate issued by the North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors projects under its jurisdiction throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed for approving the projects.