- Docket Number
- 240 MW
- Contra Costa County
- Simple Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Crockett Cogeneration Project (CCP) is located in the unincorporated area of Crockett, Contra Costa County, within the C&H Sugar Refinery (C&H) compound, which consists of an extensive industrial complex containing large brick, steel, and concrete buildings, a steel conveyor system, wooden wharf, large bulk sugar storage bins, and a flue gas stack for the existing C&H boilers.
CCP is a 240-megawatt (MW) an existing, natural gas-fired cogeneration facility provides the steam required to operate the adjacent C&H. CCP consists of a General Electric (GE) 7FA gas turbine generator, heat recovery steam generator, steam turbine, single-shaft electric generator, air cooled steam condenser to condense steam into water for recirculation, three back up auxiliary boilers, supplemental duct firing, selective catalytic reduction equipment for control of nitrogen dioxide (NOx) emissions, water treatment area, switchyard and substation.
On March 14, 2012, the California Energy Commission approved a Post-Certification Amendment (TN 64473) to amend the project by installing electric motor driven natural gas compression equipment at the facility to ensure that the facility could be fully responsive to demand and need regardless of the delivery pressure of natural gas by PG&E. The need to install the equipment arose in the wake of PG&E’s de-rating of its natural gas supply and delivery pipeline system which resulted in pressure reductions that were preventing the Crockett Cogeneration Project from meeting its power delivery obligations under its power purchase agreement with PG&E.
- Insignificant Project Change for Approval to Reroute Gas Pipeline, Not in Docket, 04/12/1995, Staff Approval of rerouting the PG&E gas pipeline.
- Order Approving Modification to Public Access, TN 922, 06/01/1995, Order No. 95-0412-02, Commission approval to amend the public access provisions in their Land Use and Facility Design conditions of Certification.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 2656, 09/14/1995, Order No. 95-0906-02, Commission approval to change Air Quality Conditions of Certification.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 5507, 07/25/1997, Order No.97-0716-01b, Commission approval to change Air Quality Conditions of Certification to provide revised emission limits and procedural changes.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 14589, 05/22/2000, Order No. 00-0503-10, Commission Order approval to change Air Quality Condition of Certification.
- Order Approving Installation of Natural Gas Compression Equipment, TN 64473, 03/26/2012, Order No. 12-0314-01I, Commission approval to install electric motor-driven natural gas compression equipment.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors projects under its jurisdiction throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed for approving the projects.