- Docket Number
- 130 MW
- Monterey County
- Simple Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The King City Cogeneration (KCC) project is located in the city of King City, Monterey County amongst the rich farmland in the Salinas Valley. Primary access to the KCC site is provided via the Metz Road, at a juncture with SR 101. The driveway access to the plant is off Metz Road.
KCC is a nominal 130-megawatt (MW) natural gas-fired power plant consisting of one 85.7 MW electrical output “Frame 7” combustion turbine generator, one 37.6 MW steam turbine generator, two auxiliary boilers, and one heat recovery steam generator. The project uses a three-cell counter flow cooling tower, a selective catalytic reduction NOx control system, and an ammonia injection system.
On April 10, 2019, the California Energy Commission approved a Post-Certification Amendment (TN 227637) for the removal of condition of certification Engineering-1 from the 1987 Final Commission Decision, which was included to ensure that the facility met specific efficiency requirements as a cogeneration facility as well as operational requirements as a qualifying facility under its power purchase agreement and the law in effect at that time. The removal of condition of certification Engineering-1 eliminated the requirement that the facility produce thermal energy for a steam host in addition to electrical energy, consistent with the facility's intended operations in 2019 and with subsequent changes in California law.
- Commission Order Approving Substitution Of "BAF Energy a California Limited Partnership" As Licensee, Not in Docket, Order No. 87-0812-04b, Commission approval to substitute "BAF Energy, a California Limited Partnership" (in place of Basic American Foods Inc) as licensee.
- Order Approving an Amendment to Air Quality Conditions of Certification Nos. 37 and 52 and Deletion of Demand Conformance Condition No. 3, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0525-08, Commission approval to modify Condition of Certification AQ-37 and add Condition of Certification AQ-52 pertaining to the acquisition of emission offsets, and add Demand Conformance Condition 3.
- Order Approving a Change to Air Quality Conditions of Certification 14, 21 and 23, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0525-18a, Commission approval to change Conditions of Certification AQ-14, AQ-21 and AQ-23.
- Order Approving the Increase in the Ammonia Storage Tank Capacity, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0622-35h, Commission approval to increase the Ammonia Storage Tank Capacity, from 6,000 gallons to 12,000 gallons and amending project description.
- Order Approving the Construction and Operation of a 38-mile Gas Pipeline, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0702, Commission approval to construct and operate a 38-mile gas pipeline dedicated to BAF's facility to be constructed and operated by PGandE and paid for by BAF through gas tariffs.
- Order Approving Amendment to Reliability Condition of Certification No. 5, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0713-02b, Commission approval to change Reliability Condition 5 which requires Basic American Foods to install a ground-motion instrument at the plant site.
- Order Approving Amendments to Transmission Line Engineering and Transmission System Evaluation Conditions of Certification, Not in Docket, Order No. 88-0713-02d, Commission approval to modify the Transmission Line Engineering condition of certification pertaining to pole design, and the Transmission System Evaluation condition of certification pertaining to circuit breaker installation.
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification No. 46 and Cogeneration Criteria Condition No. 4, Not in Docket, Order No. 89-0426-05b, Commission approval to modify Condition of Certification AQ-46 and Cogeneration Criteria Condition 4 in response to an exchange of one of ten original dryers that was intended to be converted from gas to steam heat for a slightly larger dryer. Basic is also going to continue to gas-fire the eight dehumidifiers associated with the ten dryers.
- Order Approving Amendment to Ammonia Safety Conditions of Certification Five, Seven and Eight, Not in Docket, Order No. 89-0628-23a, Commission approval to change Ammonia Safety Conditions 5, 7 and 8 in response to a change in the Code and requirement that submittals be made to the local health department rather than the CBO.
- Order Approving Amendment Project of Demand Conformance Conditions of Certification 1 and 2, Not in Docket, Order No. 90-1212-18a, Commission approval to change Demand Conformance Conditions 1 and 2. will transfer $20,510 in unused funds from Condition 2 to Condition 1, and change the list of projects and the funding specified in Condition 1.
- Order Approving Modification of Air Quality Condition of Certification 1-8, Not in Docket, Order No. 92-0729-11a, Commission approval to change Condition of Certification AQ 1-8 to reflect a change in the total number of operating hours for the two auxiliary boilers
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification 1-20, Not in Docket, Order No. 93-0728-03c, Commission approval to change Condition of Certification AQ 1-20 to allow BAF to: 1) train new operators on the auxiliary boiler's oil firing system; and 2) perform the maintenance required to ensure rapid and reliable transition from gas to oil firing during a disruption of the natural gas supply.
- Order Approving Amendment of Air Quality Condition of Certification 1-44, Not in Docket, Order No. 94-0316-10i, Commission approval to change Condition of Certification AQ 1-44 to discontinue ambient carbon monoxide (CO) monitoring.
- Order Approving Modifications to Air Quality Conditions 1-18, 1-19, 1-22 and the Addition of Air Quality Condition 1-5, Not in Docket, Order No. 95-1129-01b, Commission approval to change Conditions of Certification AQ 1-18, 1-19, 1-22 and 1-53 to allow the auxiliary boilers to operate below a 40% capacity factor during · natural gas firing, without violating the hourly air pollutant emission limits.
- Commission Order Approving License Transfer, TN 2473, 02/20/1996, Order No. 96-0214-08, Commission approval to transfer ownership from BAF Energy to Calpine King City Cogen, Inc.
- Commission Order Amending Commission Order 96-0214-08, TN 2649, 05/06/1996, Order No. 96-0424-01b, Commission approval amending Commission Order 96-0214-08 license transfer effective on the date that the lease agreement between the BAF and Calpine King City Cogen, LLC is effective.
- Order Modifying Air Quality Conditions of Certification AQ-6, AQ-11 and AQ-15, TN 7266, 10/10/1997, Order No. 97-1008-05, Commission approval to modify Conditions of Certification AQ-6, AQ-11 and AQ-15 to correct an inconsistency in the original conditions of certification by adding the same language contained in AQ-10 and AQ-14.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend AQ-8 and Add AQ-53, TN 15537, 08/22/2000, Order No. 00-0621-02, Commission approval to modify Conditions of Certification AQ-8 and add AQ-53.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend Quarterly and Annual NOx Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 28273, 03/14/2003, Order No. 03-0305-01c, Commission approval of changes to quarterly and annual NOx Air Quality conditions of certification to reflect an increase in the quarterly and annual NOx emissions from the combined sources at both sites.
- Order Approving Modifications to Air Emission Monitoring Requirements, TN 36081, 12/14/2005, Order No. 05-0713-01c, Commission approval to modify the air quality conditions of certification by making editorial changes that would align the decision with Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District’s recently drafted revisions to the project’s Permit to Operate and Title V Operating Permit.
- Order Approving Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 203378, 11/26/2014, Order No. 14-1117-07, Commission approval to delete language that limits the combustion turbine to one start up and one shutdown per day, allowing the facility to come back online and subsequently shut down again in an unanticipated event and to add language exempting the two auxiliary boilers from certain emission limits during boiler tuning, and exempting the combustion turbine from specified emission limits during defined tuning and testing periods.
- Order Approving Petition for Modification to Remove Engineering Condition of Certification-1, TN 227637, 04/12/2019, Order No. 19-0410-01a, Commission approval to remove Engineering Condition 1 (Cogeneration Criteria) to eliminate the requirement that the facility produce thermal energy for a steam host in addition to electrical energy, which would be consistent with the facility's intended operations in 2019 and with subsequent changes in California law.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors Commission-certified energy projects throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed by the Commission’s Final Decision for approving the projects.