- Docket Number
- 120 MW
- Fresno County
- Simple Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Midway Peaking Project (MPP) is located on a 5.6-acre site within Fresno County, located adjacent to the Panoche Hills and east of the San Benito County line. It is approximately 50 miles west of the City of Fresno and approximately 2.0 miles east of Interstate 5.
The project is a 120-megawatts, simple-cycle electric generating station, licensed as Starwood Power Project. The facility utilizes two FT8-3 Swift-Pac Combustion Turbine Generator units installed in a simple-cycle power plant arrangement. The gas turbines are equipped with a water injection system to reduce production of NOx, a selective catalytic reduction system with 19% aqueous ammonia to further reduce NOx emissions, and an oxidation catalyst to reduce carbon monoxide emissions.
On January 31, 2014, the California Energy Commission approved a project owner name change from Starwood Power-Midway, LLC to Midway Peaking LLC and the project name was changed from Starwood Power Project to Midway Peaking Project.
- Approval of Verification Change to Condition of Certification TSE-5, TN 47537, 08/13/2008, Staff approval of verification change to Starwood Power Project Condition of Certification TSE-5.
- Order Approving Petition to Increase Stack Height, Drill Well, Reposition Buildings and Add Evaporation Pond, TN 49292, 12/08/2008, Order No. 08-1120-02, Commission approval of increase stack height from 50 to 68 feet, allow a well to be drilled onsite, reposition buildings in site plan, and add second evaporation pond to retain storm water.
- Approval of Insignificant Change to Relocate Gas Line Route, Meter Set and Pressure Regulators, TN 49868, 01/26/2009, Staff approval to relocate the natural gas line route, meter set and pressure regulators.
- Order Approving Petition to Modify Community Noise Survey Duration and Monitoring Site, TN 52625, 07/30/2009, Order No. 09-729-04, Commission approval to modify duration and one monitoring location for the Community Noise Survey required by Condition of Certification NOISE-4.
- Order Approving a Petition to Amend Air Quality Conditions of Certification, TN 64442, 03/27/2012, Order No. 12-0314-04, Commission approval to allow operation with increased hourly, daily and annual NOx emissions, based on actual historical operations rather than original modeling assumptions.
- Approval of Project Name Change, Not in Docket, 01/31/2014, Staff approved project owner name change from Starwood Power-Midway, LLC to Midway Peaking, LLC.
- Approval of Petition for Change of Operational Control, TN 227324, 03/13/2019, Staff approval of change in operational control from Midway Peaking LLC to NAES Corporation
- Approval of Petition for Change of Operational Control, TN 229085, 07/25/2019, Staff approval of change in operational control from NAES to Midway Peaking Project, LLC.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
The CEC has the exclusive authority to certify all thermal power plants 50 megawatts (MW) and larger and related facilities proposed for construction in California. The Application for Certification (AFC) process is a certified regulatory program under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). As a certified regulatory program, the CEC does not prepare environmental impact reports (EIRs) in an AFC proceeding, but instead prepares environmental assessment documents that are functionally equivalent to EIRs. A certificate issued by the CEC is in lieu of any permit, certificate, or similar document otherwise required by any state, local or regional agency, or federal agency to the extent permitted by federal law, and supersedes any applicable statute, ordinance, or regulation of any state, local, or regional agency, or federal agency to the extent permitted by federal law.
e-Commenting has been closed. Please submit your comments in compliance proceeding above.
Public Participation Questions
Media & Public Communications Office