- Docket Number
- 51 MW
- Solano County
- Simple Cycle
- Project Status
- Operational (Natural Gas-Fired)
- Project Type
- Application for Certification
The Valero Cogeneration Project (VCP) is located at the Valero Benicia Refinery, within the City of Benicia, Solano County.
VCP is a nominal 102-megawatt (MW) cogeneration power plant that was certified under a 4-month, expedited review process to be built in two 51-MW phases. The two-phased facility was approved to include two combustion turbine generators equipped with water injection to control oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions and associated support equipment.
Phase I (Unit 1) of the project, a 51 MW generator, was constructed and began commercial operation in October 2002. Construction of Phase 2 of the project, the final 51 MW generator, was never completed and in October, 2007, after having been granted several extension requests, the certification for this phase of the project was allowed to expire at the owner’s request.
- Order Approving a Petition to Extend the On-Line Date for Phase 2, TN 30277, 10/31/2003, Order No. 03-1022-03, Commission approval of an extension of the on-line date for Phase 2 from December 31, 2002, to November 1, 2005.
- Order Approving a Petition to Extend the On-Line Date for Phase 2, TN 35859, 11/09/2005, Order No. 05-1103-07, Commission approval of an extension of the on-line date for Phase 2 from November 1, 2005, to November 1, 2007.
- Order Terminating Certification for Phase II of the Valero Cogeneration Project, TN 43712, 12/11/2007, Order No. 07-1205-08, Commission approval to allow the certification of Phase II to lapse.
Attention: Non-hypertext items above will need to be requested from the Compliance Project Manager, along with the document TN number, if provided above.
Power Plant Certification and Exemption Processes
As required by the Warren-Alquist Act, the Energy Commission monitors Commission-certified energy projects throughout construction, operation, and closure to ensure compliance with the conditions of certification imposed by the Commission’s Final Decision for approving the projects.